any ideas?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

C0urt

Veteran
Reaction score
does anyone think this may be seizure or epilepsy related.
my hands and feet are tingling or numb, I have a metallic taste in my mouth. my left shoulder was swollen a day ago. I am currently on carbemazipine. and carbemazepine xr. I don't know if they are causing this. I went to the e.r. because my hands being tingling and being in pain could not have been a good combination.

They gave me a motrin and sent me home. I haven't had a good night sleep since thursday. luckily I do have a video ekg coming up next monday. but I would rather not have to deal with this for another week.

Yep...the hands and feet tingling could definitely be the meds...I had it with the carbemazepine/xr (tegretol/xr) and I have it with the topomax. I think the metallic taste is a side effect too. The swollen shoulder though...that I'm not sure about. That would be one I would call the dr. about just in case it was an allergic reaction. To me, ANything starts swelling when you are taking meds, it is not a good thing. ANYTIME you have concerns about something you are experiencing while you are taking your meds you should call you dr. and discuss it, particulalry if it is driving you up the wall. DOn't wait until your next appointment, call your doctor today. :)

I have

to agree. Pick up the phone, and call YOUR doctor. Better yet, get in and SEE them. They know you the best, and can help you the most.

Quite often, that metallic taste you're talking about can be an aura though.....

Court,
I was on Tegretol many years ago, and went off it due to some pretty nasty sideeffects. I've had almost identical side-effects to the ones you where mentioning on Topamax, numbing and tingling through hands and feet, metalic taste. I lost a fair amount of weight due to the metalic taste of all my food. I insisted that my MD switch me off because of the side effects, thankfully he understood!
:agree: with Zoo and Meetz get to your Doc soon than later!

All the best
Cat

Back
Top Bottom