Anyone on Aptiom?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Topcat

Stalwart
Reaction score
I saw my epileptolgist yesterday and he gave me some samples of Aptiom to try.
He said that it is similar to Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) without the drunken dizzy feeling that Trileptal gives me.
It's so similar that I don't need to transition to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eslicarbazepine_acetate

http://www.aptiom.com/anti-seizure-medication.html?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=aptiom&utm_campaign=YS-Aptiom%20Alone_EX

Can anyone tell me if they are on it and what they think about it?

I am on 1000 mg Aptiom. As you know everyone reacts differently to the various AEDs, but I have had no side effects on this medication which is great. It is taken once a day - usually before bed, perhaps because in the first while after taking it there is a potential for drowsiness. I do know that it is not recommended that one take Aptiom and Trileptal together because of their chemical similarities, so this might be the reason you have been told you do not have to taper onto Aptiom.

Yes my neurologist said that they are very similar and that's why I didn't need to taper into it.
I need to take 2 doses a day.
This is my 3rd day, 5th dose (haven't taken my bedtime dose).
So far so good.
The Trileptal knocked me out for a good 3 hours after I took it. This doesn't.
I just hope that it doesn't cost to much. I think I am near my Drug Coverage gap for the year.

Glad it is working out for you so far. Aptiom can be expensive, depending on how much your insurance covers, because there is no generic version yet.

How much do you take per dose? Out of curiosity, how was it decided that you need to take it twice per day? Clinical studies I have seen show that it is intended for once per day dosing, in part based on the fact that Aptiom has a long half-life (13-20 hours). I'd be interested in knowing if something regarding the once per day dosing has changed.

600mg per dose 2 dosages daily.
I don't know if I can afford it after I hit my insurance limit. But I will see.

24 BUCKS A PILL!

http://www.rxeconsult.com/healthcare-articles/Aptiom-eslicarbazepine-acetate-Approval-Side-Effects-Dosing-Cost--603/

If the insurance won't pay for that I'm not taking it.
It doesn't make me sleepy but it's not controlling my seizures any better either.
And the Neurologist better not say there is a way I can get "help" paying for it either.
I have some money in the bank and own a house without a mortgage so I know there is no "help."
And NO I am not going to sell my house.
Right now I'm not working (collecting S.S. Disability) so whats the difference?
If I sleep I sleep.
I will keep everyone here updated.

I think I may need the knock out effects of the Trileptal.
I haven't been able to sleep much at all. I've only been getting three or four hours of sleep a night since I started it.
I could probably eventually get used to it but it doesn't seem to be controlling my seizures any better than the Trileptal.
I called my neurologist today and I'm going off it.

Sorry to hear Aptiom isn't working for you. Did you go up in dose? I think it can go as high as 1600 mg. Anyway, I hope the transition back onto Trileptal goes smoothly for you.

Back
Top Bottom