anyone else have weight and tiredness with keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been on it for a number of years and can't lose weight and tired.

Anyone else like this?

I haven't tried Keppra, but fatigue and weight changes tend to be fairly common with the anti-seizure meds. Weight loss is officially listed as a Keppra side effect, but that doesn't meant that weight gain isn't possible as well. Might want to check with your neuro about possibly tweaking your dose? And maybe a nutritionist could look at your diet to see if any changes there might help with both your energy levels and your weight.

Hi birddseedd,

I was on keppra for a short time and it made me gain weight like crazy. I also had a hot temper along with an increase of seizures so my Dr. took me off the drug after being on it for only 1 month. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Keppra never made me put on weight but I did have the temper unfortunately, this new drug however is piling on weight and I cannot lose it.

I've been on Keppra for a couple of years now. It doesn't affect my weight, but I do take a nap almost every day.

Keppra and Lamictal, the obesity drugs.

In the 1990s, I first went on Prozac. It was touted as a weight-loss drug. 20 years later, Prozac was revealed to be a weight-putter-onner.

Want to lose weight? Don't take anything, I guessl We are all guinea pigs.

Hi :)
I was super tired when I was started on keppra, and also whenever my neurologist increased.
But now that my body has gotten used to them, I no longer feel tired- its more like heart palpitations at night if i forget to take them lol ahhhh sounds perfect addicted to meds that have zero effect lmao.
As far as the weight thing goes, I didnt notice a anything either way- although I did ask my neuro once as a joke if he could put me on a weightloss side effect med, and thats when he told me that it was already a side effect lol

Been on Keppra for years. I have always been under weight, so that's not a problem. I do feel tired 99% of the day.

I spent most of my life very overweight, until the age of 43 when I got into martial arts. Since then I've been a very active person, getting into the best shape of my life through karate, sparring, and jogging. Then after being diagnosed with epilepsy and starting on Keppra about a year ago I found myself feeling very drained most of the time, as well as grumpy. It took 2+ months before I finally started to feel like the side effects began to go away, but they never did completely. I've never felt as strong as I did before I started on Keppra. That said, I was feeling pretty good, and was seizure-free for exactly a year and a week until June 27 of this year when I suffered 5 seizures over a 4 hour period and had to be hospitalized. They upped my Keppra from 500mg 2X a day to 750mg 2X a day and I feel like I'm starting all over again with the side effects. I've been completely exhausted since they changed my meds. I have to force myself to exercise and can barely get through a karate class. I find myself being very short-tempered again as well. Hopefully my body will get used to the higher amount of Keppra sooner than later and I'll get back to being able exercise at my previous level. The feeling of being physically drained is part of it, but it also brings depression and down time which makes it easy to eat poorly. I've put on 23 pounds over the last two years, most of it since starting on the Keppra. The last thing I want is for all the hard work I've done to get in shape to be undone because of my anti-seizure meds. That has been the worst part of having epilepsy for me so far.

Every aed that's I've ever been on had had the opposite effect on me, they all killed off any appitite I had.

I've been on Keppra, along with some other meds, for a good many years and about 5 years ago I was eating like crazy. My husband tried to get me to stop eating like I was but I'd just wait till he went to bed and eat a half gallon of ice cream or anything else I could find in the house. I don't remember how much I weighed but I know it was a lot.

I don't know if you're a woman or man, I'm a woman, and I went from a size 7 to 13 in a very short time. I don't know if it was the Keppra that caused this or one of the other meds I took. I started exercising and did loose a good bit of weight but I was still eating pretty good and wore a size 9 and weighed about 150lbs.

I got really sick at the beginning of the year, I don't think any of my meds caused this because none of them changed, and basically stopped eating. I went down to around 115lbs. I was wearing a size 3 and sometimes I had to buy kids clothes because the women's clothes were still to big. Once I got better and started eating again I went up to a size 5, which was the size I should wear, and weigh about 130lbs. I'm still taking all the same meds and watching my diet and excising and haven't gained any weight.

My meds make me very tired too. I usually take a nap every afternoon. If I go two or more days without that nap, or don't get enough sleep in general, I'm almost always guaranteed to have a seizure.

I've been on Keppra, along with some other meds, for a good many years and about 5 years ago I was eating like crazy. My husband tried to get me to stop eating like I was but I'd just wait till he went to bed and eat a half gallon of ice cream or anything else I could find in the house. I don't remember how much I weighed but I know it was a lot.

I don't know if you're a woman or man, I'm a woman, and I went from a size 7 to 13 in a very short time. I don't know if it was the Keppra that caused this or one of the other meds I took. I started exercising and did loose a good bit of weight but I was still eating pretty good and wore a size 9 and weighed about 150lbs.

I got really sick at the beginning of the year, I don't think any of my meds caused this because none of them changed, and basically stopped eating. I went down to around 115lbs. I was wearing a size 3 and sometimes I had to buy kids clothes because the women's clothes were still to big. Once I got better and started eating again I went up to a size 5, which was the size I should wear, and weigh about 130lbs. I'm still taking all the same meds and watching my diet and excising and haven't gained any weight.

My meds make me very tired too. I usually take a nap every afternoon. If I go two or more days without that nap, or don't get enough sleep in general, I'm almost always guaranteed to have a seizure.
Hi I take keppra and yes i seem to be eating more. I have gained weight its horrible when peopke say im fat. I dont consider myself fat. The best is ignoring. I love myself I try to look my best. Thank the Lord i havent had any seizures for almost 1 year now.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Hi I take keppra and yes i seem to be eating more. I have gained weight its horrible when peopke say im fat. I dont consider myself fat. The best is ignoring. I love myself I try to look my best. Thank the Lord i havent had any seizures for almost 1 year now.

Im always tired and I do get dizzy but to me its signs that i have to take my meds.

Back
Top Bottom