Anyone else on Topamax and Keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

summerf

New
Reaction score
I am fairly new to meds for my epilepsy. I have JME, and all three seizure types (absence, myoclonic, tonic-clonic). I started off in October 2012 on 100mg of Topamax twice a day, in the hope that it would be the only drug that I would need. It became apparent fairly quickly that the low dosage was inadequate to take care of the myoclonic seizures, so the dosage was raised a couple of times.

I rarely have tonic-clonic seizures, thank goodness. However, after the Topamax dosage was raised to 200 mg twice a day, I started having tonic-clonic seizures more often believe it or not. In between December 26, 2012 and January 19, 2013, I dislocated both my shoulders, dropped my infant daughter, and bit my tongue almost in half. These seizures left me with a huge gap in my memory, and very seriously depressed.

After the January 19 one, I called my neuro crying that I did not want to take Topamax anymore. I knew I could not just stop, so I asked for help phasing off. The neuro gave me a plan to phase off of Topamax and phase on to Keppra. At present, I am doing fine taking both meds. I'm not sure whether I will actually drop the Topamax or the neuro will have me just add the Keppra - probably will just depend on whether I have any more TC's, which remains to be seen.

My question is...is anyone out there taking both Topamax and Keppra? I wasn't sure whether they are drugs that are typically taken in combination with each other, or whether they are typically taken alone. The Topamax didn't do so well alone for me, but so far, it seems like it's working better with the Keppra.

I have CP's and on rare occasions now, TC's also. I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra + 200 mgs. of Topamax. Keppra is known for causing depression/rage and Topamax on higher doses is known for memory lapses (dopemax).

OH YAY! Thank you so much for responding!

Oh good!!! I'm glad that these two can be taken together. I seem to be more stable already, and I was hoping they could be left alone if that wasn't bad, for some reason. I have a neuro appt scheduled, but I'd just spoken to the nurse at the neuro's office on the phone about what to do for the next 2 weeks with ramping down the Topamax and getting on the Keppra. We hadn't made any permanent decisions, and I have not actually talked to my doc about it.

I think I can't tolerate in the 400 mg range of Topamax. I'm a lawyer and the dopey aspect of it was really interfering with my work. I couldn't remember words, and I would lose my train of thought really easily. Luckily, I had explained the side effects of the med to the people at work and they thought it was more funny than anything else. I didn't think it was funny, but I'm glad they thought so. They aren't mean spirited, and I try not to be over sensitive. It isn't that bad at 200mg. I sleep like a log, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom