Anyone feel flu-like prior to a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

masterjen

New
Reaction score
Anyone have this, or is this something strange: Does anyone have the sense they might be coming down with the flu shortly before (in my case about 12 hours before) a seizure? That general achy feeling, fatigue, mild headache, and that ever so slight breathless feeling of early respiratory symptoms that come before the congestion sets in?? I've had this occur fairly often pre-seizure in the past 6 months. It is gone once the seizure occurs. Would like to know if anyone else has this, and what it might all relate to.

Last edited:
Maybe the flu-like sensation could be an early warning that a seizure is on its way, an indication that some sort of metabolic process has been kicked off in your body.

One study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15721070) found that the brain starts to show abnormal pre-seizure activity (as recorded on EEG) several hours before the actual seizure occurs and another (http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/132/4/1013.full.pdf) shows that there are measurable changes up to 24 hours prior. So perhaps the flu-like sensations are subtle early warning signs that your brain is gearing up for misbehavior. Sort of like a mini-pre-aura aura.

Very interesting, Nakamova. I learned a lot from the attached articles. A benefit to long-term EEG monitoring in a seizure investigation unit that I sure didn't know about! Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom