Anyone know of a GREAT Neuro in DFW?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am looking for a new neuro. I've given up on mine. I want someone who can and will give preventative tests to establish a baseline for us to measure any future changes against. (things like tests for neuropathy, cognitive decline, etc)

I want these mainly as a defense to monitor effects from long term drug use.

I also want a doc who will check things like hormones, vitamin and mineral levels, and bone density that could be affected by drugs and have he/she know how the drugs affect different body systems (endocrine, reproductive, etc).

My current neuro admitted he wouldn't know what to test or even how to interpret the results beyond stuff strictly limited to neurology.

I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, so anyone who has a great reputation for listening to patients and who can do the things I noted above would be ideal.

This may not be the proper place, but I thought I'd throw it out to this group and see if they had any recommendations by chance.

Thanks. :rock:

Anyone know of respected names in this area or a resource that is reliable?

I see Dr Krampitz. He is in an office with several other neuros, over by Presby Dallas.
214 750 9977.

He's really the only neuro I've ever seen. I did start out seeing another dr in this office but he moved after our 1st visit. I actually preferred him I think..

Krampitz is nice and seems pretty thourough but then again I have no one to compare him to. Check him out if ya like. I think the practice is called neurology consultants of Dallas.

Bernard,

I decided to put that off for awhile for a few reasons. One, I was beaten down from seeing so many doctors that the idea of going twice a week for 6 months just made me crumble. Second, I've been on Keppra and I've had feelings of dizziness, mental slowness, and sexual issues that I'm not happy with, so I thought I'd wait and switch drugs first.

I have been thinking of going back to Dilantin. Once that is done, and if I still have insurance, I was going to go back and try the NFB.

In the meantime, my neuro has been so uncaring about my side effects and shows no understanding of my desire to be sure that effects I feel are from current meds and not from long term damage from Dilantin (before I decide to go back to Dilantin) that I am looking for a new one.

Of course that makes me tired too, having to re-explain my entire case to a new doctor. I am so sick of these guys. None of my problems started before I got off Dilantin two years ago. Ever since then nothing has felt right and I no one has helped me understand what has happened.

They just look at me like I'm acting like a hypochondriac. But, I dont think its too complicated. I felt fine before when I took Dilantin. I got off of it and my life went to crap. I just want to know if it is from Dilantin long term use damage or if it is because of the new drugs.

Add to that that my neuro doesn't seem to understand what to test for to establish a baseline for long term future issues or how these drugs can effect hormones and such, and I just think it is criminal that they are allowed to prescribe them at all.

I'm worn out. So, IF I change to Dilantin, and IF I get my life back, then I will give NFB another try.

I'm going to guess the dizziness, mental slowness, and other issues are related to the Keppra. My wife has similar issues with lots of medications. Dilantin seems to be one of the few meds she has used which doesn't create a permanent fog for her (she will get the dizziness if she takes too much).

Sorry your current neuro doesn't seem to care. Some docs are happy to ride the gravy train with their prescription pads without really paying attention to quality of life issues.

Bernard,

I was wondering if you thought the Keppra could be to blame for some slight memory issues as well, and if going back to Dilantin could reverse that? I realize I am asking you to speculate, but just based on your experiences with Stacy, I thought I'd ask?

I feel like I'm doing all I can for myself (research, physical exercise, mental exercise), but the more i try to get back what I have lost the more seems to slip out the door..

It would be comforting to think that this is all side effects of a drug that could completely change if I go back to Dilantin, rather than some permanent damage. When I asked my current neuro, he gave me a glib answer like I was being unreasonable. He said he doubted anyone could answer me to my satisfaction.

I think he just doesn't have a clue or know what to look for or test for. If its easier feel free to PM me instead.

Thanks.

Memory impairment is a known possible side effect of Keppra:
... the following adverse reactions were seen in other well-controlled adult studies of Keppra: balance disorder, disturbance in attention, eczema, memory impairment, myalgia, and vision blurred.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/keppra-side-effects.html

Some forum members' experience with it:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/memory-loss-14867/index2.html#post153240

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f36/weighing-out-benefits-vs-side-effects-keppra-15045/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...-memory-loss-taking-neurontin-5938/#post56989

Based upon my wife's experience, yes, I do believe that weaning off Keppra could alleviate the memory fog *if* is it the cause (and I believe it's likely). There are no guarantees though.

Back
Top Bottom