Anyone use zonisamide?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Im not sure Nakamova. I put a call into dr before starting this med because I was confused on what to do in regards to the depakote. he never called back so I didn't continue the depakote. He initally stated he wanted me to take 100 mg at night but when I picked up prescription it said take 2x's a day. thats when I put a call to his office for clarification and never got a call back from him or his nurse. I stopped taking depakote cold turkey. Maybe it was placebo after all. I always felt like he didn't believe me, why didnt he call back? Im fragile and don't have time for this you know?. I dont understand. Its a good thing I can come here. that's all im saying.

How long have you been taking it? Are you taking it for seizure control as well? Are taking another AED with this med as well?

Hang in there, it will get better.
Wishing you nothing but the best!!!

I'm on the third week and so far no seizures but it hasn't been long

Ok update

50 in morning 75 in evening now
I THINK I mite feel a little less hungry as I only ate one Carl's jr burger yesterday and nothing else lol

Yes, I agree with Nakamova -- you can't just stop Depakote cold turkey even when another med is added in. That's too bad the doc didn't return your call when you started Zonegran at the beginning of the month -- that just irks me.

So...if I understand correctly...you've now been off of Depakote for 2 weeks, and have been on Zonegran (100 mg twice a day for 200 total) for 2 weeks?

Your simple partials may be withdrawals from Depakote (it's a bear to wean off, even when done slowly). Or...it may be that the Zonegran isn't working for you. The dose can be increased (Jon takes 250 a day, and he's only 49 pounds), but the higher you go, the more side effects, as is the case with any meds. Sounds like you really need to get in to see your doc again.

I get so frustrated with the American way of dealing with neurology patients -- having to call the office and wait for a return call, which may or may not come. I really appreciate the way they do it here in Thailand -- I can email our doc, or we can go in and see him. During our bad crisis, he saw Jon every 2 weeks (sometimes more often). Now we see him every 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom