anyone whos on tegretol??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hand of Blood

Stalwart
Reaction score
hey guys im on tegretol retard 800mg. for about 4 years now... was just wondering does anyone get these side effects with it....

twitching of hands?
confusion?
feeling like your going to have a fit but you dont?

i got more but iknow they are part of it, the docs wont listen to me they say its not it but i know it is!!

Welcome to the site HOB. I'm on tegretol retard (called tegretol CR in Canada & XR in the US) & I do get the same side-effects you mentioned except for feeling like I'm about to have a seizure (fit) but don't.

It does get frustrating when my hands or fingers develop a stutter & I double click when I want to single click or I click something that I don't want to on the computer.

I'm sure if you did a search for tegretol on the net you'd find that all these things are regular side-effects.

Carbamazepine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

* drowsiness
* dizziness
* unsteadiness
* nausea
* vomiting
* headache
* anxiety
* memory problems
* diarrhea
* constipation
* heartburn
* dry mouth
* back pain

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms or those listed in the IMPORTANT WARNING section, call your doctor immediately:

* confusion
* loss of contact with reality
* chest pain
* yellowing of the skin or eyes
* vision problems

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682237.html

hey guys im on tegretol retard 800mg. for about 4 years now... was just wondering does anyone get these side effects with it....

twitching of hands?
confusion?
feeling like your going to have a fit but you dont?

i got more but iknow they are part of it, the docs wont listen to me they say its not it but i know it is!!
Hi HOB-
I have the twitches, mostly in my hands and it never happens at the dr's office. Sort of like taking your car into the shop and it stops making that noise.
I also have confusion of a sort - can't seem to make a decision. Even something simple like 'what do you want for dinner?'
I am taking (generic) tegretol and Vimpat. I would have or nearly have an 'episode' within an hour or two of when I should take my next dose. Dr upped my dose and seemed to solve the problem.
I have some of the other side effects - loss of balance most often - but mild and still better than having an episode

It was the first drug my daughter was put on. She had terrible vision problems while taking that med. I am glad that I requested she be taken off of it.

That was the first medication prescribed to me too. I turned out to be alergic though...

R

That was my second med after Dilantin. I was on it for 3-4 years 400mg/day. It started to react with my kidneys and sodium level and then it seemed like it stopped working all together. I did have dizziness and more lack of coordination than usual. Now I'm on Keppra (the generic version) at 2500mg/day and after my visit yesterday looks like it's going to 3000mg/day.

I have been taking it all week, and it has been a long and surreall week.

Back
Top Bottom