Assisted Living in my thirties

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

satsujin

New
Reaction score
I have extremely well controlled epilepsy. I only have a seizure once every few months and nowadays they are always nocturnal. I don't get auras also. I am on both anticonvulsants and antipsychotics and every time a reduction has been tried seizure/psychotic activity has started to increase.

Here's my problem: I am still living with my parents and am completely dependent on them. When I was in my 20s I have completely uncontrolled psychoses and seizures and was unable to complete my university education much less get a job. Things have settled down now but my parents have suggested I move into an assisted living facility. I have no cognitive problems other than the regular memory issues all epileptics have. I THINK I can live by myself but my family doesn't. I will be living in India and they think I will be susceptible to scam artists and the like or something may happen during the rare psychosis that I may have.

I would like to hear from others who may be in a similar situation or know how to cope with this. Thanks....

Do you have access to any social services that can help with this? Since you don't need assisted living, there may be some other transitional living situation that would be a good fit, perhaps something with a few roommates to help with the cost. Is there any kind of local Epilepsy Foundation or similar group, where there may be others looking for a similar set-up?

Not that I am aware of. The thing is I will be living in South India and in India there is little govt. support for health. Also, my parents seem pretty set on this so going against the grain will lead to serious conflict I suspect. Also, from what they tell me the assisted living won't be with a nurse or anything but will provide services like dining and laundry.

I've also found Epilepsy Foundation India and Epilepsy India online but from what I can see they are based in North India, seem to be more about face-to-face support groups and don't have forum services.

Last edited:
LOL sure if you wanna split the bill. Or as Nakamova said maybe you and I can grab a place in the city and split bills & chores? Just be warned I'm not a great cook. I mostly work with frozen foods and spam but have been known to bake the odd chicken or two. Even made a large pizza from scratch once.

But I am serious about splitting apartment space with someone. My parents might be more willing as long as they think the other person doesn't have epilepsy also. So, if anyone is willing to co-habit a place in Kerala, India, a 2 bedroom(maybe bung up in a large 1 bedroom apt) do drop me a line. We can research prices of living costs through the net initially and later on-site as I have roots there.

Last edited:
I have problems with my family thinking it's ok for me to be alone to do things. My father got pretty mad recently when he found out that my husband dropped me off at a store and let me shop in there all by myself for three hours. My husband really didn't want to but I convinced him that I'd be ok. I have around 7 seizures a month and they think that someone always has to be with me 'just incase' I have a seizure.

Is there anything similar to Social Security that you could get if you don't get it already? I'm on that and with the amount I get a month I would probably be able to live on my own as long as I kept a budget and didn't go blowing it. Do you have any sort of income now if you don't mind me asking?

Keep an eye on the news papers, or even put an ad in one, for someone who is looking for a room mate. Do you have another family member, cousin perhaps, who would want to be a room mate?

Thanks for your reply Valerie. I currently live as an expatriate in the Middle East and will eventually move back home to India. So SS is not an option and I have zero income now. Although our family is financially secure and I could spend a lot if I wanted I keep an extremely tight budget and keep spending to a minimum. For example, I only order out once every couple months. Maybe my best bet is to hook up with one of my divorced(like me) cousins when he moves back to India. He currently lives in Italy but is planning on heading back sometime in the next couple years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom