Ativan?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AlexC

New
Reaction score
Landed in the hospital last night after a cluster of seizures. Doc upped my Lamictal and prescribed me Ativan. Anyone have experience with Ativan? I'm a little leery of it, to be honest. Thanks.

I've been prescribed Ativan in emergency situations as that is mostly what it is used for. I didn't take it for a long time, so don't remember much about it.

I have an autonomic nervous system disorder & was given .5 (smallest dose) to help with symptoms. I also take one if I have a partial seizure. It is one of only 2 meds I can take without side effect. I only take one occ so I don't worry about getting addicted.

My neuro has occasionally prescribed a small amount of ativan or diazepam to have with me when I travel, just in case I have bad seizures far away from health services. It's fast-acting, and can be used to help stop seizures on an ‘as needed’ basis. It isn't usually recommended for daily or long-term use (because you can develop a tolerance to it), but for some people a very small dose to supplement another seizure drug can help.

I assume you'll be on a low dose, so here's hoping you get better seizure control with minimal side effects. The most common side effect is weariness, so play it safe until you now how it affect you.

my daughter was given it on top her seizure meds for the same reasons nakamova mentioned (travel), as well as for any clustering breakthrough seizures. The most common side effect is sleepiness (although my daughter goes the other way and gets hyper). She takes 1mg sublingual tablets.

I was in a really similar situation as yours. In the ER and was given ativan to stop seizures. Afterwards, doc upped lamictal and added some different meds. Finally settled on Lamictal, klonopin, and keppra. I take klonopin .25mg 2xday. It is in the same class of drugs as ativan. Klonopin has a longer half life than ativan. The combination of klonopin and keppra make me really sleepy. I was/am leary about taking klonopin.

My doctor gives it to me to have on hand for if I've had a seizure. The hospital gave it to me, also. The only time I've been given it (and Klonopin) daily is when transitioning AED medicine or having frequent seizures.

I have no side effects with Ativan.

Yea Ativan is an emergency medication. It can be slipped under your tongue between cluster seizures.

was given it years ago to keep close if i felt a partial going over the regular time limit and a grand mal maybe on its way. unfortunately tho when i'm at the 'oh shit this isn't looking good' stage i'm beyond getting them or water. brain tells me to get safe asap which for me means lay down somewhere rather than 'oh i should take a pill.'
boyfriend put one in my mouth after a grand mal two years ago b/c i was similar to psychotic, and thankfully it did relax things a bit so we didn't have to head to emerg.

Back
Top Bottom