Back from Neuro *Adding Topamax*

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, after this second opinion, this neuro agree's that what is happening is epileptic seizures. He couldnt believe that my neuro that Ive been seeing treated me this way. He went through alot of stuff with us, and decided to try me on Topamax with the Keppra XR. He is starting me off on 25mgs, i take one tablet at night the first week.. followed my an increase in the next week. I just got the prescription for it, but havnt gotten it filled. We came back to my parents house to look it up. I always want to look up different information on new medications before trying them. One thing I was wondering about is if its going to affect me taking GLucophage xr for my PCOS? I want to make sure that doesnt interferr with that. Other than that, thats all that was said. We were there for over an hour, going through all the information. Im just praying that this medication does the trick and helps me with these seizures and auras!

I did find an assistance program that you have to fill out forms, and take to your dr to fill out, to see if I would qualify for free medication for one year. I have to print that off at home since my parents computer doesnt have the adobe on it.

Sounds like the new neuro will work out. I hope the Topomax helps! You should check with the docs to find out if there's any conflict with the PCOS med.

Definately check out the interactions. I am on Topamax ... it affects everyone differently. For some it is a wonder drug and for others it can seem like a nightmare. Keep track of how you feel on it. For me the side effects come and go. For my migraines, it has made a huge difference. My partial seizures are few and far between so only time will tell. I hope it helps you!

Great Kristin, that you found a neuro who's willing to listen. I take Keppra and Topomax, too. Beware of the Topomax as you increase because it can/does make one a bit spacey and forgetful more so than usual. I once took Glucophage for my diabetes and I believe I was on Topomax at the time. Some of the AED's interfere with drugs like Glucophage by raising the blood sugar levels in diabetics, so I'm not sure if you will be effected. Check with your dr.

Thanks everyone! I did check with two pharmacists and both said there were no interactions between the glucophage xr and the topamax. I did contact the dr who prescribes the glucophage xr for me, to treat my PCOS, and she wasnt in the office today. But her nurse said as far as she knows its all good to go. My neuro wrote it out for 25mg tablets. If I could make out his handwriting... it reads for 60 tablets.. but starting out at taking one tablet the first 7 days at night, then going up to 2 tablets each night. I ran it by my pharmacy, and they had the generic on hand, but not the name brand. Since Ive had a bad reaction with the Generic Keppra xr, I told them I better stick with the name brand of this one too. So they are going to order the name brand and have that in tomorrow for me. I believe its $40 for the name brand, but Im hoping to get the application for the assistance printed off, and filled out so I can send it in to see if this does work, If I qualify for the assistance. in the meantime, Im just glad this neuro can see where Im coming from! He was very suprised that my other neuro would act that way about this.

Hi Kristin,
I'm glad your appt with the neuro went well. Good luck with the Topamax.

Back
Top Bottom