Being aggressive during seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
My husband said that over the last few months I've started to aggressive, if that's the right word to call it, during my seizures.

Normally during a complex seizure I used to just sit were I was and stare or sometimes pick something up and play with it. Every so often I would walk around but when my husband would sit me down I would and stay there.

While I'm having a complex now I want to do things or walk around and not sit down, which is what he is usually trying to have me do, while the seizure is happening. I'm bound determined to do it to no matter what he says or does.

I've walked through the house looking for people, even trying to go into the basement. My husband will tell me they aren't there and try to get me to stop but I won't. He's been having to follow me around until I start coming out of the seizure enough that I'll start listening to what he says to do.

During one of my most recent complex partials I wanted to take my meds. I don't know if I saw the clock and seen it was med time or if I just decided I wanted to do it. I took my pill case off the table and tried to get my meds out of it but my husband took it off of me and told me I couldn't' take them yet but I kept telling him it was med time and I had to. Since he wouldn't give it to me I kept trying to get off the couch and get the pills out of my purse that I keep in there. He got my purse and put it somewhere I couldn't get it all while trying to get me sit down. When I finally started to come out of it he got me to lay down on the couch and stay there. I don't remember doing any of this. When I was completely out of the seizure I didn't even realize that it was med time.

My mom was at the house at the time and she couldn't believe how I was acting because I was never like this before.

Does anyone else act like this too? If so how does someone get you to listen to them.

Seizure styles can change over time. Even tho this still is a CP seizure, it has changed style and folks have been very aggressive during them. I've been told I was aggressive a few times, like going after the EMT when 911 was called, but I don't remember. You need to let your neurologist know.

Here are a few pointers:

First Aid for Complex Partial Seizures

~Do not restrain the person
~Remove dangerous objects from the person's path
~Calmly direct the person to sit down and guide him or her from dangerous situations. Use force only in an emergency to protect the person from immediate harm, such as walking in front of an oncoming car
~Observe, but do not approach, a person who appears angry or combative
~Remain with the person until he or she is fully alert

Thanks Cint.

That's pretty much what my husband has been doing with me now when I have one. He just has to follow me around making sure I don't hurt myself and take things off of me. Luckily I haven't been violent with him.

I'll defiantly let my neuro know what I'm during now during seizures.

im sure we could all share our stories! I've flipped off my entire family before when I found out the ambulance was called...And looked my sister square in the eye and didn't know who she was...lol

My husband said that over the last few months I've started to aggressive, if that's the right word to call it, during my seizures.

Any major changes? Stress, AEDs, up/down dosage, etc?
There are many things that can effect us during a seizure.

You just need to let those close to you know it's unintentional. Maybe a safety pill box would be useful. Something that you need to be fully conscious to open.

Aggressiveness

:ponder:It is common for a person to react aggressively if they are touched in any way 'while they are having a seizure'.
I was in 6th grade. It was only a few months after I had been diagnosed w/E and I had a substitute teacher that day. Neither the full-time teacher or the school had told this substitute teacher that I had E. I had always gotten up from my desk and gone to the boy's room(sat down in a stall) when I felt a seizure coming on. This day I got out of my desk and headed for the door. The substitute teacher, not knowing about my seizures, tried to stop me from leaving the classroom. When he did that, I picked him up and threw him several feet away from me. I didn't realize what I was doing, but that just shows how strong a person can get during a seizure from the additional adrenalin released into the body, during a seizure. I was NOT a large kid(120lbs maybe) so this surprised everyone.
After this happened, and he found out I had E, the substitute teacher actually apologized to me and said he had learned a great deal about E that day.:clap:

Best Wishes,
ACsHuman:hugs:

Things change in ways from time to time I sure good physiology to it all and anatomical reasons.also people blame e and may have nothing to do with it take other people who may only see you do ABor C which don't mean you don't do DEF they just may never seen it.Prob best talk to your nurologist get worries sorted out

I don't know about others but the worst part for me is not remembering. I feel like a fool!
M

I was going to suggest a different style pill box as well. My husband wouldn't have let me take my mess either, because I wouldn't remember and would likely get upset when I consciously tried to take them later.

I have yet to be combative, but have only had one such seizure away from home and the co-worker I was talking to at the time has goals of becoming a nurse. She handled me perfectly, then drove me home so I didn't have to wait on the husband. I work in a restaurant so I hope that she is there if it happens again!

Anyway, if you continue to behave differently I would bring it up at your next appointment, otherwise I'd likely brush it off as normal, even if not usually for me

Back
Top Bottom