Best and worst antidepressants

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
Which antidepressant have you liked best?

Which antidepressant has been the worst?

I know some of the meds can cause seizures, is there a safe, effective one?

My doctor prescribed me Nortriptline, not for depression but for the nerves in my foot, Neuropathy. It is an Anti depressant. It helps me sleep, seems okay

im on citalopram at the min I only been on it bout week and half so im still at the side effect stage so it can take about a month to work so im not sure yet .... still depressed at min :(

My son tried mood stabilizers and they caused suicidal tendencies. Be very careful, and have someone you love monitor you and trust what they are telling you.

My doc has me on Dosulepin,one of the older types.He refuses to put me on any newer type off the SSRI.As he says the chances off breakthrough seizures are much higher.Dosulepin,works for me,makes me a tad drowzy but i get round that by taking the one tablet at night.

RobinN is right,my family can tell if i have stopped taking my tablets or are worried about anything.You do need to trust what they are telling you.

The worse I've been on was cymbalta. Horrible I was still driving when I was on it I remember some one cut me off when I was on the way home from work I'll never forget that feeling when I stepped on the gas to go after that person. I stopped taking it the next day. I'm currently on Citalopram which is the generic of Celexa. I've been on it 6 months as with any anti depressant it can lower my seizure threshold and it doesn't mix well with some Anti seizure meds. I don't think its causing my issues now as far as seizure go. Since I've lost my job and the divorce I don't think its helping like it was that is why I'm off to the neuro psych Friday. She will either up it as I'm not on the max dose yet or we'll start something else. I'll know Friday.

After as many as I've tried, I'm now taking Zoloft, an SSRI.

The worse I've been on was cymbalta. Horrible I was still driving when I was on it I remember some one cut me off when I was on the way home from work I'll never forget that feeling when I stepped on the gas to go after that person. I stopped taking it the next day. I'm currently on Citalopram which is the generic of Celexa. I've been on it 6 months as with any anti depressant it can lower my seizure threshold and it doesn't mix well with some Anti seizure meds. I don't think its causing my issues now as far as seizure go. Since I've lost my job and the divorce I don't think its helping like it was that is why I'm off to the neuro psych Friday. She will either up it as I'm not on the max dose yet or we'll start something else. I'll know Friday.

I had a horrible experience on cymbalta as well. I tried it for a week, but I called my dr. and told her that it felt like my brain was moving, so she took me off it immediately. Since I was on the lowest dose and hadn't began titrating up yet, she had me opening up the capsules and dumping bits of it out in order to taper off of it. Fun times.

Fluoxetine- induced mania
Lexapro- did absolutely nothing other than drain my checking account
Paxil- gained a buttload of weight and didn't help me at all

I think those are all the ones I tried? Oh, also was on an older tricyclic AD for sleep, but it didn't help so I stopped taking it.

My primary care dr recommended Wellbutrin last week. I came home and looked it up online. It's not safe for people who have epilepsy.

The only one that worked for me in the past was Effexor. But it was HORRIBLE to withdrawl from. Of the other ones I've tried - Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, they really didnt do anything. I was pretty much flat.

I haven't been on antidepressants since before my epilepsy diagnosis in 2009 so this is new to me.

Please keep the feedback coming. :)

Wellbutrin is the anti depressant they advertise on TV to help you quit smoking. At the end of the comercial it specificically says do not take if you have or have had a seizure as a side effect is seizures! You know I think they all make you feel flat. I told that to the psych once and she uped the dose. Its like seizure meds its trial and error until they find the one that works for you. Main thing is stay away from wellbutrin!

bit soon to tell but with only being on citalopram for near 2 weeks last few days I went out and done some gardening and washed the car!! things I would never do its almost imposable to get me out the house, and I had trouble enjoying anything with my son, last few days I was talking away to him and playing with him so I dunno..... though today im back down I got the cold and and drowsy I feel drunk dunno which tablet is doing that tho!

I was told to take my anti depression religously for a month before it will really,really start to kick in good and proper.So two weeks HOB,you are starting to see an improvement which im sure will only get better,great news!!!

I have been taking Prozac for years...just to help "stabilize" my moods. I am very high-strung and anxious. It hasn't caused any probs for me

im on sertraline(zoloft) its pretty good, but cant saay its worked 100%, but alot better then the fluoxetine(sp) i took a few years back that was awful

was on Citalopram and Risperdone for a few weeks but due to reasons perhaps that were related to the reason I was prescribed them, I stopped taking them on my own out of "spite" or something
I just tapered off of them on my own

Cymbalta is the worst so far

I was taking Cymbalta for pain, and my seizures got worse. My doctor didn't make the connection, though, so I stayed on the Cymbalta, until I went to a really good neurology clinic at U of Washington. Now that I am off the Cymbalta, my seizures are so much less frequent. The prescribing information states that Cymbalta should not be prescribed for people with epilepsy, as it lowers the seizure threshold, and it sure does! It is also very unpleasant to get off of it, it's taken me 3 months to get over the side effects from stopping it. Whatever you do, don't take Cymbalta, even if you don't have epilepsy, it makes you feel good for a few months, then you are tired, the pain comes back, and then you have to go through the misery of getting off of it.

Celexa was the best one I recall. I was on that from 16-21 and then my body no longer tolerated any anti depressant.

The one I recall not making me feel to good was probably Paxil. When I was younger I took it several times and just couldn't handle the way it made me feel.

I've taken a large variety of SSRI's or other anti depressants over the years, some can take a really long time to work. While some seem to show signs of boosting the mood a little within 1 week.

I've never taken anti depressants since I was diagnosed with E. but I was on Zoloft for 2 years for major depression. It worked really well but it took me three attempts to take it.
Every time I started to feel well I just stopped taking it. (Not the brightest thing to do)/. Each time I stopped taking it I got worse than the time before. I was about as rock bottom as it gets and finally managed to turn things around with the help of zoloft and psychiatric care. It was definitely a lesson in weaning off certain medications. I am blessed to be here to tell the story.

Back
Top Bottom