Blood in urine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Today I made my appt to have the xray & ultrasound done which I'll be having done next Wednesday 5th June. I am booked into have the xray 1st then the Ultrasound.

I also rang the Urologists clinic & the receptionist told me the urologist needs to see my referral before they can make an appt so he knows if there are any tests he'll need to do. I faxed through the referral & the copies of all my blood/urine tests the GP has done the last few months to the urologists clinic.
The receptionist said after they got the referral & the urologist had read it over they would ring me back to give me a time to see him. I haven't heard back from the urologist clinic about an appt so will be ringing them again Tomorrow.

A friend said to me she doesn't think I should worry about haveing the tests or see the urologist because it isn't bothering me, I haven't had any symptoms so it's probably nothing. I said to my friend that I should have the tests done because my GP has already ordered them (I'm sure if I ignored the requests & didn't have the tests then the GP would probably query it lol) & I've already been referred to the urologist so may aswell go see him. I told my friend that although the issue with the urine might be nothing it's better to get checked out to be safe.

Well the most important thing is...how are you feeling?

Nak I'm actually feeling fine, I haven't really noticed any symptoms (eg haven't had any pain) & it's only because the GP is so thorough with his testing that I even know the blood in the urine lol.

Last edited:
I agree with your friend, if you're feeling good all round it's probably nothing to worry about.

I am pretty sure I heard that long term Tegretol usage can affect either your kidneys or liver??? I was on Tegretol from May 2002 until last month (I stopped my final dosage of Tegretol on 29th April) so I wonder if the blood in urine is anything to do with the Tegretol.

Most AEDs (incl. Tegretol) are metabolized in the liver. Keppra is the only one that I'm aware of that is processed in the kidneys.

Does that mean there is a chance it could be related to one of the anti-epileptic drugs?

Nope, it doesn't seem to be related. If you had been taking a drug that's processed in the kidneys (like Keppra) for a long time and had pre-existing kidney issues, then there might be a connection. But Tegretol isn't one of the drugs that stresses the kidneys, so it doesn't have any connection to anything going on in your kidneys.

Nope, it doesn't seem to be related. If you had been taking a drug that's processed in the kidneys (like Keppra) for a long time and had pre-existing kidney issues, then there might be a connection. But Tegretol isn't one of the drugs that stresses the kidneys, so it doesn't have any connection to anything going on in your kidneys.
Thanks so much Nak,
I've never been good understanding medical talk so the way you explained it makes perfect sense to me lol.

Just rang the urologist clinic & the receptionist has booked me in to see the urologist on Wednesday 12th June at 2:30pm.

good luck chickie!!
and yes nak you're great at making things a bit easier around here, wouldn't be the same without ya :)

I had my xray & ultrasound done Today now just have to wait until next Wednesday when I see the urologist to find out if there are any issues.

The waiting is the hardest part sometimes...

The waiting is the hardest part sometimes...
I'm not to worried Nak,
I'm going to be busy for the rest of this week/early next week so I'm sure next week will go fast enough lol.

I had my appt with the urologist Today. After he explained to me about how the kidneys work & how sometimes blood can get through the kidneys he said he wasn't to concerned about the blood in the urine as it was only a tiny amount. He said as it was only a tiny bit of blood, also given my age (mid 30s) & the fact I have never smoked he is sure it is nothing to worry about.

He still wants me to have a procedure done called a flexible cystoscopy which will be done at the local hospital (same hospital where I had xray & ultrasound). The urologist told me that he doesn't expect to find anything in the cystoscopy but wants to make sure everything is ok anyway.

On my referral the GP had put under other medical info about my epilepsy & brain surgery, I told the urologist more about the brain surgery (when it was done & where at). When I was about to leave the urologist assured me that he was certain the blood in urine was nothing to be concerned about so I have no need to worry.
I told him that I wasn't to concerned about it & as I've said to other people I was lucky enough to get through the brain surgery with no problems so im sure i will handle whatever problems I'm having with blood in urine lol.

After I saw the urologist I had to fill out the paperwork for the cystoscopy then see the nurse who went through the paperwork with me. I forgot to ask the urologist about the results from my xray & ultrasound but did remember to ask the nurse lol. She had a look at the computer & said the tests were all fine.

I now have to take the paperwork to the hospital & wait to hear from them in regards to when I can have the procedure done.

Last edited:
Well that all sounds very positive. I hope the cystoscopy isn't an unpleasant procedure...

Well that all sounds very positive. I hope the cystoscopy isn't an unpleasant procedure...
Thanks Nak,
The urologist was really nice, there was also a med student in there. When I went in the urologist asked me if I mind the student staying in, I didn't mind at all as the med students do have to learn. You wouldn't have even known the med student was there as he just sat nearby & listened lol.

The urologist did explain the procedure & said it can be embarrassing for the patient but it doesn't hurt to much.
I went to the hospital this morning to drop of the paperwork, the lady who processed my form told me I should have the procedure done in the next 4 weeks (most likely this month) but the urologists receptionist will be in contact with me to arrange a date for me to go in.

Today I got a phone call from someone at the hospital to arrange a time for me to have the procedure done. I am booked in to have the procedure on Wednesday 10th July (3 weeks time). I was told to ring the hospital the day before the procedure to confirm that I will be there & find out what time I need to be at the hospital.

I was also told there would be a letter in the mail confirming the date for my procedure.

I was going to say it will nice to have the testing out of the way before summer really kicks in. Then I remembered that it's fall-winter where you are...

I am due to have my procedure done next Wednesday & I'm starting to get nervous about it. I get nervous easily anyway & the more time I have to think about things the more I worry. I know everything will be fine & the procedure isn't that scary but the one thing that I am more nervous about is that it is an embarrassing procedure because usually I don't really like people touching me. My urologist is really nice so I have confidence in him & I'm sure he has done this plenty of times so I just have to keep reminding myself it's nothing to worry about.

I have noticed the funny feelings I get with my head are happening more often lately, I had one on Monday night at home then another other one on Tuesday while at my voluntary work. They were only small feelings, my head felt funny for a couple of seconds then I heard a strange noise. I was able to continue doing things while having the feelings (I was in the process of sending of an email for my boss when I went funny on Tuesday).

I have been making notes of the funny feelings in my seizure diary, when I went funny on Monday night I put the details in my diary as soon as the noise went away. I think I was still in my own little world because it took me 3 times to spell July properly & the 1st line doesn't make much sense. I see the funny side though & think oh well I invented 2 more ways to spell July.

I emailed my neuropsych on Tuesday afternoon about the funny feelings I get & to ask if I need to let them know when they happen. She replied to let me know that I don't need to let them know after each funny feeling but to continue noting them in my diary & it might be a good idea to tally them up at the end of each month.
My neuropsych did say though that if I notice the funny feelings are becoming more regular then to definitely let them know & my neurologist may want to review my medication regime.

I am hoping that the funny feelings are just because of nerves or stress so hopefully once the procedure is over & done with I won't have to many funny feelings again because I would prefer if I didn't have to mess with my meds.

I have noticed that when I start to think to much I will get my MP3 player out & start listening to the music which helps. Last week I was over thinking things so put my MP3 player on & went for a walk. Yesterday I got my MP3 player out & started listening to it while doing typing some stuff up for my boss lol.

Last edited:
Can you listen to music during next Wednesday's procedure? I know that may sound funny but I'm serious. Some people have found that having their favorite music playing during a surgery relaxes them and gives them better outcomes. At the very least, make sure to plan a reward for yourself after the procedure! (In my case, it would be ice cream.)

Fingers-crossed that the funny feelings are just nerves. Can you stop them when they occur, or are they too brief?

Can you listen to music during next Wednesday's procedure? I know that may sound funny but I'm serious. Some people have found that having their favorite music playing during a surgery relaxes them and gives them better outcomes. At the very least, make sure to plan a reward for yourself after the procedure! (In my case, it would be ice cream.)
I like your suggestion about the music & giving myself a reward lol. It's a bit cold for icecream at the moment so will have to think of something else lol.

I have to ring the hospital on Tuesday afternoon to find out what time I have to be at the hospital. I had my friends suggest that I tell the hospital that I'm nervous & see if they can give me something to help with the nerves.

I think I am only having a basic anesthetic (can never remember if its local or general) so will be awake during the procedure. I live close to the hospital (only 15 min walk) so I told my friend & Mum that I am going to try & see if I can walk home after the procedure. Neither Mum or my friend were impressed by my suggestion of walking home :pfft:. I wouldn't seriously walk home, I just like stirring :pfft:.

Fingers-crossed that the funny feelings are just nerves. Can you stop them when they occur, or are they too brief?
The funny feelings in my head don't last long at all, I never timed them but think it would be less then 10 seconds. The funny noise I hear seems to last longer & I'm sure thats closer to a minute. I just wait for it to go away but when I do 1st have the feeling I think to myself 'bloody great, just piss off' lol.

Last edited:
The hospital could give you half a valium (or similar med) to relax you during the procedure. It's very straightforward and safe. It would work quickly and fade quickly. You wouldn't feel "drugged up", and the effects would be brief.

The noise might be tinnitus (which can take the form of ringing, buzzing, whooshing, beeping, clicking, etc.). Some anti-seizure meds can cause it and others can treat it. So maybe the tegretol was treating it, and the noise has shown up since you've gone off the med.

Back
Top Bottom