Calling nuero about Keppra SE tomarrow

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penny

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I have given keppra a good try I think It will be 4 weeks on Thursday that I started taking it. I have been a recluse for the last couple weeks, having problems with paranoia, irritability and some anger. I'm going to call my nuero tomarrow and tell him I want off it (if psych symptoms get worse or start he said to let him know). I have bipolar 1 and complex PTSD so I don't need the other to go with it.

I have also gained 9 lbs in that little amount of time and I eat less than I used too. I am so discouraged. I havnt had a seizure in 3 weeks. It would have been great if not for all the SE's. :(

Keppra makes me, and a lot of others, very irritable and angry. We call it keprage.

One thing with meds is it may be helping control your seizures but the side effects are just too much to handle and you need to stop taking it, which sounds like is what's going on here. I've had to stop taking different meds several times because I couldn't deal with the side effects.

I'd deffently call your neuro tomorrow and tell him about the problems. You'll have to be weaned off of it. You can't just do it cold turkey because that can be very unsafe.

Good luck!

Nuero was out yesterday but gave me a call first thing this morning. We are cutting my keppra to 500mgs day since it had been helping me (hadn't had a seizure in 3 1/2 weeks) and we will see if that helps with SE and still keeps them at bay. I am to call him in 2 weeks to give an update no matter what. He is such a nice dr.

Still keep an eye on those side-effects. Mine never seem to change regardless of the dosage. I am able to deal with mine, but yours sound a little tougher. There are ways of dealing with some of the effects, but it is your call before you take one of those routes.

Penny -- you might want to ask about taking a B6 supplement if you don't already. It can potentially help with Keppra's mood-related side effects.

Thanks Naka. I will do that. I already get a vitiman B12 shot monthly.

Back
Top Bottom