Can I change my neurologist?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Azusa

New
Reaction score
I had 3 neurologist's one for like 2 years and I changed to Kaiser and got the one I had for about 8 years, I don't remember the exact time. However a little while AFTER I turned 18 I was FORCED to change neurologists and I don't like her at all, I really don't think she does her job good either.

Absolutely. Your health should be a collaborative effort with your doctors. If you and your neurologist don't make a good team, by all means find one that is a better fit. Remember that the docs are working for you, not the other way around.

I went through this exact same situation. If you are in a practice with more than one neurologist, It's not going to hurt their feelings if you feel that you aren't the right fit. I've had a neurologist that I really liked just leave the practice for another state and I was of blindsided. Shop around and find one that fits best for your needs. I've found that many neurologists are not always the best at social skills, but if you find one that is and understands your situation, keep them!

Azusa,
yes yes yes you may change. If you don't want to go to your doctor (well none of us do really haha) then you won't feel comfortable and may not remember/want to tell them any vital information about your condition. I switched doctors several years ago after I turned 18 and was recommended to someone in the same practice. I liked my first neurologist better but I am very comfortable with the new one and my family/fiance like him as well. The problem is I live 2.5 hours away from there so it's difficult having to make the trip each time especially with gas prices soaring, so I looked at a few top recommended doctors in my area but my stepmother (she is a nurse and director of employee health) told me it is worth making the trip because I would not fit nearly as well with any around my home. You just need to shop around, and if you find a neurologist you are thinking about sticking with, type their name in Google and see if anyone else had anything to say. It always helps to get as many opinions as you can but then when it boils down to it, it's up to you

Ok I think I should just tell her she is a complete joke and she doesn't do her job well at all. :p
I got extremely pissed at her last visit because she said I will lose my memory, basically completely.

EDIT:
Even my dad agrees.

Last edited:
I think you would need a second opinion anyway since she thinks something that severe will happen

I agree, getting a different neurologist sounds like the way I would go too. I had to do the same thing in January. My neuro wasnt treating my seizures as epileptic seizures, even telling me that going from a brand name Keppra XR to a generic Keppra XR wouldnt cause seizures to occur? Then tells me its all in my head... meaning he believed that they were non epileptic seizures. thankfully I did keep two weeks of the name brand keppra xr on hand, and once the seizures started, I quit taking the generic and went back to the name brand. Within starting that again they all quit. I knew right then that it was from the generic. But my neuro said no seiuzres would come about just from trying a generic. He's so screwed up in the brain, its not even funny. I called my primary care dr and she sent a referral to a neuro she recommended. I see this new neuro on March 19.

Ok thanks, I see her on the 24 of next month I'll tell her that.
Also the one I had BEFORE, I never had any problems and it seemed everything was going fine with him. :p coincidence?

On the memory thing, she said if I had a few more I couldn't even remember MY NAME.
I had TWO since then, I still have atrocious memory but no where near as bad as that.

On the memory thing, she said if I had a few more I couldn't even remember MY NAME.
I had TWO since then, I still have atrocious memory but no where near as bad as that.

Sometimes drs say really stupid things!

I got a referral to UCSD Epilepsy Center while I was in CA. I loved the drs and support staff and my epileptologist there finally got me on a good med dosage.

Last edited:
Sometimes drs say really stupid things!

I got a referral to UCSD Epilepsy Center while I was in CA. I loved the drs and support staff and my epileptologist there finally got me on a good med dosage.

Yeah that is one reason I cannot stand her. I wish I could get my old one back, he was the best doctor I had.
Growing up sucks. :mad:
Anyway I am sure I can find someone better.
Also I go to the Anaheim one.

Azusa,
I agree with the others, if you are unhappy with this neurologist search around for another neurologist. Maybe it might be a good idea to start looking for a new neurologist now & seeing if you can get an appt before the next appt with your current neurologist.
Good luck.

Azusa,
I agree with the others, if you are unhappy with this neurologist search around for another neurologist. Maybe it might be a good idea to start looking for a new neurologist now & seeing if you can get an appt before the next appt with your current neurologist.
Good luck.

Well I can't my mom takes me alone 99% of the time, of course since I cannot drive but my dad is also coming since they want to know why I had one even though I followed ALL her direcetions.
So most likely afterwards.....

Back
Top Bottom