Can Keppra effects worsen over time?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Obviously Keppra is known for causing some people to experience physical fatigue and “run down” feelings. However, has anyone seen this effects get worse over time?

I feel like I’ve always had fatigue from Keppra, but I’ve forced myself to exercise and get out anyway. Lately (the last few months), it has been worse, and MUCH harder to have any stamina. Also, my sleeping has been worse (although never good on Keppra, it has also gotten worse).

When I asked my neuro about this, he said that he didn’t think it was Keppra, as the fatigue would be pretty constant from the beginning and would not have gotten worse. Same for the sleep issues.

Of course I heard this before with regard to delayed onset rashes from tegretol (told that couldnt happen either and that it would have happened from the start) and that turned out not to be true.

So, I just wondered if anyone has experienced worsening fatigue and sleep issues after having taken Keppra for a long time? Feels like my energy is circling the drain..

Have you tried supplementing B vitamins? Taking a B vitamin complex as a supplement can improve your energy. B6 is the B vitamin that's been linked to improving Keppra side effects but it's best to take B vitamins as a complex because all of the B vitamins work together. :)

(Personal experience: I'm on Keppra 2000mg a day, and I've noticed that if I don't eat healthy foods that are rich in B vitamins or supplement them in some way for a while, my energy levels will begin to drop significantly. Once I get them back in my system, my energy levels return to normal.)

I do take a multi vitamin that contains all the B vitamins. Although, I've been spotty the past few weeks in taking it..

I wonder if just a few weeks could make a difference??

For me, I do notice that Im more tired through out the day if I dont get enough sleep. I do a couple things to help with the fatigue that keppra brings on. I take a Vitamin B6 in the morning, and I get to bed earlier to help get enough sleep at night so I wake up feeling better in the morning.

Yeah, the sleep thing (as related to Keppra) is hard to deal with since I don't have much control over it. I'm tired enough, but just don't sleep.

But what I'm talking about is more the physical fatigue that has set in on me the past month. Like I said, I've always been a runner (used to do 5 miles regularly), and it seems I can barely go for 10 mins without feeling totally spent..

Back
Top Bottom