Changing meds...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cherriuz

New
Reaction score
So - i had a seizure end of last week (saturday) and my gp decided to call me in...he has had a look through his little book of tablets and decided he wants to try something else..oh im sorry mr gp but who decided you could go messing with my mojo?!

So - fair enough okay ill trust him and give it a try. Hes adding 1000mg keppra to my 400mg lamotrigine and then when he gets me at a 100mg keppra he will start lowering the lamotrigine with the idea of when i see my neuro next ill be on 1000mg keppra a day and 300mg lamotrigine a day - hes written to said neuro to fill them in on his glorious plan - nice to see you consulted them first mr gp!

The side effects are horrid - im just about alive and awake.

So - first night i take one with my 200mg lamotrigine i have no co ordination no balance and im giggling like a fool. Next day... 200mg lamotrigine in the morning...on the worst comedown ever. like ive taken some recreational drugs the night before and now im on the comedown...later than afternoon im found unresponsive in the kids bedroom while they are at school...so said gp has decided to knock the lamotrigine down to 350mg twice a day and keep it there while i work my way up with keppra.
Its all such a flaming mess, i was pretty happy plodding along with a seizure every couple of months - and some flaming gp tootles along and ruins my mojo!

I hope my neurologist gives him an earful when she gets the letter

has anyone else done the lamotrigine to keppra?
how did it go for you?

if you made it to the end of my post i applaud you

Hey Cherr! I am so sorry to hear about your doctor issues. I know all about it. (As many of us do.) Luckily my gp knows not to walk where my neuro does. I am on lamotrigne, vimpat and Dilantin. Keppra did not do anything for my seizures. I would not up my meds without a visit to my neurologist. Lowering your Lamictal without your neuros recommendation sounds like a bad idea to me, but what do I know. lol When I tried Keppra my doctor left my other drugs alone until I had some good results. I didn't so I went to something else, but all my other meds did not change. I am at 600mg of Lamictal, 200mg Vimpat and 400mg Dilantin a day. I hope you are holding up and your luck improves. -Jeff

I have a doctor which i usually see but some other one rang me and decided to stick his ore in. Im thinking its worth a try right now, but maybe he isnt the person to be telling me what i should and shouldnt take, it doesnt fill me with confidence when he doesnt know that Levetiracetam is keppra and looked at me like id lost my marbles when i called it keppra and he proceeded to look it up in his book of medications...
im kinda happy that he at least decided to write to my neuro and explain what he was doing so she can ring him and talk it through.
Im holding up - i always bounce back, its the way it is eh?
luck - who knows? hopefully - we shall see ;)
Sarah :)

it doesnt fill me with confidence when he doesnt know that Levetiracetam is keppra
Please don't follow this guy's advice, his lack of experience with neurology and anti-seizure meds may have bad consequences for you.

Please don't follow this guy's advice, his lack of experience with neurology and anti-seizure meds may have bad consequences for you.

Well - I have already dropped the lamotrigine to 350mg daily and started working my way up on the keppra - which will take 8 bloody weeks.

At this point id made it to like once every month and a half without seizures and he sorta sold it to me by saying..well you are still young and this isnt working so lets try something else so you can get your life back....which part of my was thinking i still very much have my life thank you, the other half of me was thinking well the man makes a point and it aint working this way so at this point i dont really have all that much to lose.

I dunno if im starting to regret it now. Ended up in hospital after the first night of taking it...but now ive started i dont know what to do, will i make it worse for myself if i stop and go back to how it was? its such a bloody mess! Flaming gps sticking their bloody ores in!

Ring your epilrpsy nurse hun ...
I see mine for the first time friday about all my meds ....
8 weeks to go up on keppra only took me 3 1/2 ....im on 750mg twice a day

Back
Top Bottom