Children and seizure meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cassy

New
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Casandra. I have a 7 yr old daughter who has been taking anti-seizure medication since birth. These past few years have been hell (pardon my language). She is currently on Lamictal chewables since she gags and vomits on liquid medication. As of recently it has been extrememly hard to get her to take her meds. I give them to her at dinner time, either hiding them in her food or trying the "big girl" approach and having her swallow them with her milk. Now things are getting tough. She refuses to take them, if she finds one in her food, she spits it all out and will not continue to eat. The milk trick worked for a while, making her feel like a big girl was something she liked but now she either bites my hands as I place the pills in her mouth or she spits milk and pills out all over the place. I've tried several stratagies such as taking things away from her that she enjoys, setting up a "chore chart" along with stars and a prize at the end of the week. I've even gone as far as to get her school involved with the disipline. Nothing seems to work and I'm running out of options. If there is any suggestions out there, please don't hesitate to get a hold of me. Thank you.

Would she prefer a shot in the butt? I don't know if that's even available for Lamictal (like it is for Ativan), but that's what the paramedics will administer (Ativan shot) if she goes status.

At 7 years, she is old enough to understand the necessity for the meds. Have you asked her why she refuses to take it? Is it because of the side effects or she just doesn't like the taste?

My daughter cannot speak, so I'm not sure of why she won't take it. My guess is the taste since once she tastes the medicine she refuses to eat. I have tried to explain that if she doesn't take her meds then she will have a seizure. I ask her if she wants to go to the hospital and get poked, she replies with "yeah". I mean, I don't blame her for not wanting to take them, I've tasted them and they are horrible. Not as bad as other meds she's had, but not anything that can be looked forward to taking. I'm not even sure she can use Ativan. Usually when paramedics arrive she gets the diastat, which I now have in my possession. As of right now I'm awaiting on a phone call from her neuorologist, maybe he can shed some light on this subject.

To Cassey

Dear Cassey,

I know the light of your life is only 7 years old, but I think she may have an inside as to how she feels. Maybe you two could sit and talk (well... you could talk and she could listen) about how all this is supposed to work. I'm not saying it will, BUT... you might say something about keeping up with how she's feeling after her medicine. Tell her, "Sweetie, I'd like to help you feel better. I'm going to give you this medicine, and I want you to let me know if you start feeling funny, OK?" Write it down.

Another alternative to the food thing, is to break the pills (if there's powder inside) into the food, or just crush them with a knife. I know what it's like to have to take nasty, yucky pills. (I also understand not having the energy to move faster than a slug because of them). Good luck.

Good Morning all! Just wanted to let you know that I finally spoke with the nurse regarding this problem. She suggest that I switch her from the 25mg tablets to 100 mg tablets. That way if I only get one down her, then it's a better dose then before. It makes sense but doesn't solve my problem. She suggests that I practically force the pill down her throat. smdh. Is there some sort of brain washing that goes along with internship to where you are stripped of all humanity? I'm not so sure I like this approach, I'll give it a try. Thank you all for your advice and inspiration.

~Casandra~

Cassey's Baby

Hi Cassey!

Sit your baby down and ask her if she would rather take 100 mg all at once (with a big fight), or spread it out. She may not want to fight 4 times a day. You never know.

Ok, we had our talk. I myself have decided that it is no longer my daughters choice in taking her meds. I simply told her that she needs her meds or she will get very sick and that if she didn't take them willingly then I would make her take them. I then brought out the meds. I asked her, are you going to take them or do you want me to make you take them? We have a way of communicating even though she can't speak. I put out both my hands, I showed her my right hand and said, " are you going to take them?". Then I showed her my left hand and said, " do you want me to make you take them?". She touched my left hand. It was kinda funny that she chose me to make her take them but hey, maybe she's not mature enough to make the decision of taking them on her own. So since that night I have been making her take them. We've gone 3 days now taking meds. :p I am much more relieved, even though I feel bad for having to be the 'bad guy" but her safety is more important to me. Thanks again for all the advice.

Some day she will thank you for looking out for her. :rose:

Sometimes enforcing boundries on our children is difficult. We see every day what happens to children left to their own devises.

Children need and want boundries, it shows them we do love and care about them, even if they go kicking and screaming "I hate you!"

My son had allergery shots twice a week for his entire childhood. He was a trooper, but getting the eldest grandaughter to take medication is a battle for me too. I give her a choice. Take it by herself or I'm gonna make her take it. What surprises me is she would rather ME pour the foul tasting stuff in her mouth!

One thing that may make liquid meds go down easier is the pharasist can add flavorings to the medications like, grape, cherry, bubblegum for a added price. About $3 more, sometimes that is all that's needed.

Another thing, if the med can be kept in the fridge, it won't taste so bad.

Lastly, do a "Mary Poppins" A spoonful of sugar. Honest to God it works!
:wink:

Nobody will cover the drug Ativan or Lorezapam which is the same thing but in generic form. my doctor has me on 0.5 mg of Ativan and I pay out every time because my insurance will not cover it (I have called every major insurance company In New England with no luck )

Back
Top Bottom