Classifying Epilepsy as a Disability

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Associated Press said:
Iowa Senator Tom Harkin says he will introduce legislation to expand the Americans with Disabilities Act to cover people with epilepsy, diabetes, cancer and other conditions.

The Democrat's proposal would broaden the act's definition of disability and discourage courts from denying the act's protections to certain people.

Harkin to introduce legislation clarifying ADA

Here is the Senator's web site. There are some very informative links here as well as a call for others to share their own personal stories of like with disabilities.

Click me!

That would be great if pple could finally get disability without a legal battle. When I needed it was refused and I had absence szs right in front of them. They actually called my father to come and get me. The Dr kept saying it was great , I would get the disability, got nothing............. Its time for a change !!!

Riva

I've been sending the info out on the ADA
2007 Revision out to tons of people all over
and it's working. And even on my blog post
at the myspace - I was shocked to see how
many hits there was when EFA posted the
post, and then the updates, it's been
amazing, and I'm still firing them off.

WHAT A RESPONSE!

It doesn't matter if it passes - the more fuel
added to the fire, to make it burn brighter,
it can really burn, burn, and burn - and be
really pressed on even more even if it was
passed, it can be amended, revised, revamped,
et cetera, and make it better and better!

So keep on fighting and all more fuel to
the ADA Flame!

off topic

brain, I added the RSS feed for your blog to your profile. Your latest blog post will now appear by your name in all your posts. The feed is updated daily. :)

New Link & Info

Actually clicking the banners below will
give you the latest updates on everything
that is going on to date as it comes ...

Last edited:
SSA on Disability Qualifications for people with Epilepsy

Code of Federal Regulations (SSA)

This site updates frequently,
so bookmark it and feel free
to browse around there.
Neurology is typically now
under 100's, so most likely
it is 100 or 110, so you may
have to scroll down.

Last edited:
Brainy

Your the best. :scholar::nerd::wave::adore::adore::adore:

After being on SSDI for over 7 years I was finally able to go back to work. I still had seizures but they were fewer and most of them while sleeping. I have been back to work for over 10 years now. In that ten year period I started to have more seizures and was placed on so many different meds. I've had seizures at work in the street and on the bus just to name a few. I continued to work while going through all that the seizures and medacines caused including what seemed like depression mood swings and anger just to name a few. After having a seizure on the train while coming home from work yesterday I was taken to the emergency room by ambulance. I got up to go to work today and after being there for a couple of hours I felt a seizure starting up twice. I went and told the boss who in turn told me to go home. I got on the train to go home only to feel another seizure starting up. I found myself on the platform to the next stop. I don't remember leaving the train. I believe I should go back on dissability but am afraid of getting denied because I work. If I don't work I can't pay my bills including the mortgage. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank You!

Is there any way that you could get disability insurance?

Have you tried vitamin/nutritional changes to help?---LMT

Back
Top Bottom