Complex partial spreading to other side?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been having CPs for a little over a year. They are very much the same: I feel overheated, stare into space, & get weird sensations on my right side. The sensations quickly spread "into my head" on the right side and I get confused, have trouble talking or tuning in, lose time, etc. Very consistent.

Today something was different. Along with the above, I felt tingling on the LEFT side in the arm, and prickling in the left trunk. But it stopped there, nothing more.

I have never had a T-C or secondary generalization and wonder if this might be a prelude to that type of event. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Thanks.

I have complex partials, too, only mine do generalize. I believe though that if your seizures always occur in the right side of your brain, strange sensations on the left side of your body are probably to be expected since the right brain controls the left body? Maybe I'm wrong.

I know during one of my right-brained-to-start seizures, I dropped the phone I was holding in my left hand. But then, as it spread, I ended up burning my right finger with a cigarette I was holding in my right hand, not even feeling any pain until I came out of it.

Also, I've had several 'drop attack' seizures, and my left leg is always the leg to collapse under me. Don't know if that answers your question or not, but somebody else here might have more input.

Hi elizzza, thanks for the reply. I was not clear in my original post...which happens way more often than I would like since I became acquainted with E!

My seizures start on the left side in the temporal lobe--I had an EEG that showed this. My symptoms are always (till today) on the right side of the body. The seizure spreads to the point where I feel it on the right side of my head, etc.

Today I had the usual symptoms on the right, plus the weird tingling & prickling on the left arm and trunk. But maybe not as unusual as I thought, just unusual for me!

Actually I had this happen for the first time a few weeks ago. My seizures always start on the right side. I get a really strange pressure and sometimes my left fingers/arm/leg twitch. I don't ever lose time, but my thinking and movement slows down.

So a few weeks ago, I felt it start on the left side, and my right fingers started twitching. Then it spread to the right side. It happened several times over a period of a few days, and I felt them start from the side and back as well. I had not been having seizures for months when this happened, so I went to the neurologist. She said it happens sometimes, but it's not a concern and it doesn't mean there is a higher chance for a tonic clonic.

If you're worried, ask your doctor. But I thought it might help to hear what mine said.

Thank you, Stephanie--that is comforting! I will definitely be in touch w/my doc if this continues, but it's good to hear about your experience.

Back
Top Bottom