complex partials and psych ward

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
Hey all. My seizures are under control right now, I havce a great neurologist, we increased lamictal at a very fast rate since this has been done before and changed around a few meds.

I went to see her yesterday morning and had a great visit, she answered all my questions.

She said that I should wear a medical alert bracelet (have in the past) and that it should say "Complex Partial Seizures" on it, otherwise if I end up at the ER I might get put on the psych unit.

I will get one, was wondering if anyone has had the experience of this happening to them... mostly I get simple partials but I have had complex partials and they do make me do weird things.

She said if I ever end up at the ER to get them to call her (she not only has a voicemail in the office, but an emergency line where u can get through to her 24/7 which is great)

Actually, you

might want to put both simple and complex partials on that Medic Alert braclet, Vapour.

I personally have not had any issues like that, but I do believe there are some people here that have......Can't remember who right off the top of my head tho.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Vapour,

The psych ward can happen.
It is entirely up to you to take preventative measures.

The ER Docs can INVOLUNTARILY COMMIT YOU for 72 hours. You don't have a prayer if that happens until they call your doc. That is if the ER Docs do make the call.

I carry a copy of my prescription in my wallet. I also wear a medic alert bracelet. I also use SAD's to forwarn me of impending seizures.

What if you get arrested and the court remands you for a psych eval???

That is a different story.

Carry the same stuff but, you should also have an attorney on retainer for a small amount of oney per year that understands your medical issue that you can call when coming out of it. Carry the lawyer's office number and cell number in your wallet and make sure family member's have your info.

Believe me...a seizure related arrest can happen. It's happened to me.

The ADA Title II says that Law Enforcement must learn about seizure related behavior. Most County and local PD's don't understand, and many local judges.

Prepare yourself for the worst so that you don't have an unwanted vacation on government money.

Back
Top Bottom