Confused about seizure names

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jeofsky

New
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've read the "epilepsy 101" thread and I'm still confused about seizure types. Here's what I know and maybe you all can correct me...

"grand mal" = generalized tonic clonic
"petit mal" = absence seizure = complex partial
focal seizure = one body part twitches, and this can become generalized (?)
status epilepticus = continuous seizures w/no regaining of consciousness between seizures

Then is an atonic seizure a type of "grand mal"? Is it possible to have a "grand mal" absence seizure? Can absence seizures go into status? Do people typically have one type of seizure or do they develop other types as time goes by?

What are "simple partial"? I have heard that an aura is a simple partial? I'm confused.

Further, what are diagnoses based on? (JME, TLE..etc) The type of seizure presented, or where the seizure begins in the brain?
:ponder:

PS - I used to be afraid of researching epilepsy, esp when I was first diagnosed. I felt "all the news is bad." I also used to be afraid of seeing another person have a seizure --like maybe I would go into some sympathetic seizure. :paperbag: Needless to say I've gotten over that fear; I've seen the kids I work with have seizures and I've never panicked or anything.

I still get confused jeofsky...

What use to be a grand mal is now called a tonic clonic.
What use to be a petit mal is now called a simple partial

There are certain to be crossover from one to another. I know Rebecca's sometimes starts as a partial and goes quickly into a generalized tonic clonic.

I have heard of some people having status absence seizures.
Yes sometimes a persons seizures change over time, while others don't.
Rebecca has had different types, but I can connect them now to the medication that she is taking during that time period, and for an additional month after reducing that med. I then don't see that type of seizure again after the medication is completely out of her system.

As for how the diagnosis is figured out, I am going to defer to others on this one. I believe it it all based on symptoms. I know from our experience the diagnosis has changed over time, depending on the beliefs of the particular neurologist that we are working with.

Yes, I too became less afraid, once I used my resources to learn about the disorder.

Hi jeofsky. I can't answer all of your questions but I can try to answer some of your questions to the best of my abilities.

You were right at the first part:
grand mal= tonic clonic
and
petit mal= absence; absence seizure isn't the same as a complex partial seizure.

A complex partial seizure is a type of focal seizure along with simple partial seizures. Simple partial seizures are small seizures that affect a very small portion of your brain. It can be anything from a funny feeling in your stomach to a hand twitching. An aura is also a simple partial seizure. As far as I know, those are the only types of focal seizures. Focal seizures means that it is coming from just one small part of the brain, not the entire brain.

Then there are generalized seizures. Like grand mal seizures. Grand mal seizures are the big seizures like what you see on TV. Atonic seizure is a seizure where you just loose muscle tone and fall down. It isn't possible to have a grand mal absence seizure. An absence seizure and a grand mal seizure are different types of seizures. In an absence seizure, you stare off into space.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I hope I answered some of your questions.

petit mal seizure was a blanket term for any kind of seizure other than a grand mal. Those terms weren't very precise, so newer terms were adopted.

tonic clonic = grand mal

generalized seizures -> generally involve loss of consciousness. "generalized" because they occupy most of the brain (they are not localized).

partial seizures -> localized in just part of the brain

complex partial seizures -> involve loss of (or severely impaired) consciousness

simple partial seizures -> retain conscious awareness

absence seizures are a form of generalized seizures.

Back
Top Bottom