A couple of things you may want to think about, or even try...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
These are just a few things I've started doing over the past couple of weeks to try and rid myself of the ugly sz's. I've been reading about these things in books, and so on, and for what it's worth they seem pretty interesting :

1. I started taking Magnesium a few weeks ago, 1st thing in the morning. It's a low dosage of 250mg (about 83% RDA) which could be increased if necessary, but I feel I don't need to at the moment. This seems to 'pick me up' quite well in the mornings, and doesn't have any contradictatory effects to my AED's.

2. I'm a person who gets aura's before a seizure, so one of the lucky one's I guess. In the book it quotes that one of the things we can all practice is deep-breathing, preferably twice a day if you can. Just sit back, or lie back, whichever you prefer, and take in as much air as you can, for say a count of 5-8...and then release all the air from your lungs (which none of us are using to their full potential during our normal everyday lifes). Continue to do this for about 10 minutes, if you have the time.....something is better than nothing, if you can't manage the 10 minutes....

....so anyway, back the deep-breathing and aura's. For the past couple of nights, I've had the beginning of an aura where I get an electrical taste sensation. As soon as this arrives, I begin practising the deep-breathing technique as quoted above. I've found that as my concentration is deferred to the deep-breathing, the seizure gets zero focus, and doesn't happen. Now whether that's coincidence at the moment, or whether it's actually working is another thing to resolve with more practice in future events. But it's definitely worth giving a go.....it can't cause you any harm, and can only help increase your lung capacity anyway - so go for it.

3. The other interesting thing I read in the book relating to aura's is other ways to deal with them :

a) for people who have sound aura's, where you may 'hear' things before a seizure : deter the seizure by making other sounds, or listening to some music, or any other form off noise that is available to you at the time.

b) for people who have smell aura's : carry around a small bottle of essential oil with you, and when you get the dreaded smell of the aura appear, sniff the scent of the essential oil. You may need to look up what essential oils are okay for you, all I know is the person in the book used Jasmine, and it worked by moving the concentration of the scent of the seizure to the scent of the oil.

c) for people who have taste aura's : (this is me)...always carry with you something that you can eat, such as a small bar of chocolate. Sugar was carried out in this experiment, but just using sugar didn't deter the taste of the aura, so the book suggested chocolate. I would say another good one would be flavoured glucose tablets.

d) for people who have motor aura's : this is where you have some kind of movement - a common one being where the head moves to the side. Using other parts of your body, you can deter the sz by moving the particular in a different direction, ie. if it's the head moving to the side - use your hands to move the head in the opposite direction. Another good thing for people with motor aura's to practice is to simply move around when they occur.

So, there you go - just a few suggestions from things I have read, and things I have practiced.

I hope this works for you all, and we can get rid off the damn problem ! :banana:

Sounds like the same book I just read. Loads of good suggestions I think.

Good stuff. Don't be shy about mentioning the book. :)

Do we need to check with the doctor before trying the magnesium? I would love to try this on Tripp. I know I will have them test the levels on Tuesday when the check blood levels.

I am not sure my magnesium levels were "off" as it isnt' stored in the body. Truly there isn't a downside to this, as you will see right away if you are giving too much. It will cause a loose stool, and you can back off on the amounts. I would just say to your doctor that you want to give it a try. That you have read in many medical articles that it supports brain function, and is known to reduce seizure activity in some. Sometimes it is all in how you word it to the doctors. They want to be the expert, however if you ask if there is any reason to be concerned with a trial of it, I think they will support you.
I have to say I did not check with our doctor the first time, but I already had knowledge of how it had been so very helpful with my migraines. I am sure a phone consult would do the trick. No need to wait for an appt IMO.

What irks me is that it is a natural mineral. Where as they will load up the little bodies with chemicals without knowing what the side effects are of one on top of the other. Crazy making in my mind.

Good stuff. Don't be shy about mentioning the book. :)

Good point Bernard - I knew there was something I'd forgotten ;)

The book is.....epilepsy : a new approach. It's by Richard & Reiter, M.D.

Here's a linky for all that's interested :

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Epilepsy-New-Approach-Adrienne-Richard/dp/0802774652"]Epilepsy: A New Approach: Adrienne Richard, Joel Reiter: 9780802774651: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51p9fv6oOYL.@@AMEPARAM@@51p9fv6oOYL[/ame]

And for all who can't be bothered to click on a linky :D, here's a brief insight into the book :

Editorial Reviews

From Library Journal
Epilepsy, a common chronic disorder, is characterized not only by recurrent seizures, but also by lifelong medical and psychosocial complications. People with epilepsy are not homogeneous; medically they present a disorder of infinite variety, and unfortunately they may face formidable problems. Richard, who has controlled her seizures without drugs for 15 years, and Reiter, a neurologist, suggest medical and self-help techniques that can help ease or control suffering, including biofeedback, psychotherapy, nutrition, relaxation, exercise, stress reduction, and journal keeping. The authors also rightly note that these suggestions do not replace professional health services. Recommended for consumer health collections.
- James Swanton, Albert Einstein Coll. of Medicine Lib., Bronx, New York
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Book Description

This book is a unique collaboration between a gifted writer with epilepsy and a skilled physician who has brought new insight into the treatment of this condition.
At the age of twenty-six, when Adrienne Richard was seven months pregnant, she was diagnosed with epilepsy. For years she took anticonvulsant drugs to control her seizures, but she wanted to wean herself from the powerful drugs if she could. During the first ten years without medication she had only one seizure. Her goal was to live seizure-free.

Ms. Richard practiced yoga, biofeedback, and mind/body techniques in the eighties to help her reach that goal. While writing an article for a magazine based in California, she learned of Dr. Joel Reiter, who was exploring epilepsy self-care in his clinical practice and through his groundbreaking research.

Epilepsy: A New Approach combines Adrienne Richard's own inspiring story of overcoming a debilitating condition with Dr. Reiter's up-to-the-minute medical knowledge of diagnosis and treatment. This self-help program offers people with epilepsy and those who love them a chance to regain control of their lives.

Now here's my review

The book is good - buy it :D

Nah, on a more serious note....it really is disturbing at first as it feels as though you are reading YOUR life story. As you go through the pages, you can't help but keep nodding and saying, "yeah, I experience/do that". I'm on page 220 at the moment, and in my opinion, this is money well spent. A simple technique which it has mentioned is deep-breath relaxation techniques....these are good for people who get aura's, as you can immediately focus on doing the deep-breathing, and you know what....it works !!

Seriously, stick your name on the list and order one now....you won't be disappointed....

...oh, and NO I DON'T get commission :pfft:

Do we need to check with the doctor before trying the magnesium? I would love to try this on Tripp. I know I will have them test the levels on Tuesday when the check blood levels.

Sorry Mom2tripp, I forgot to respond to your question.

Now I have two opinions on this :

The first and most sensible one would be for you to confirm with the Doc about supplying Tripp with Magnesium.

The second would be, go ahead with it. Magnesium is an over-the-counter supplement, which means you do NOT have to be prescribed this supplement by your Doctor....after all, it's not medication. Providing you're sensible about it, and maybe start Tripp with a dosage of....say, 250mg - rather than the 450mg max....you shouldn't encounter any problems.

If you are concerned though about whether Tripp may get any reactions from the Magnesium, definitely seek Medical advice first.

In my personal experience, I simply read about it and thought 'what have I got to lose ?'....providing I monitor myself, and note any reactions, I think it's completely safe. If I seeked my Doc's opinion before I ever try any alternative therapies, I'd be down there every other day ;)

I'm still only taking 250mg, and this is my third week on it - funny how it's also been 3 weeks since my last seizure, don'tcha think ?

I think I am going with it. His neuro is pretty open to things. Is the 250mg just given once daily? At what time...am or pm? With food or without?

Thanks again!

I think I am going with it. His neuro is pretty open to things. Is the 250mg just given once daily? At what time...am or pm? With food or without?

Thanks again!

Personally I take mine first thing in the morning with my breakfast, as this is gonna be the best time of day for most supplements/vitamins as you'll have just spent the past 8 hours at least (I hope) completely deprived off any nutrition, apart from what's already in your system obviously....this is why it's time to 'break' the 'fast'.

I'm just reading the bottle (this is for 250mg) :

Magnesium helps to regulate Calcium transport and is essential for proper bone mineralisation. Magnesium also plays a role in muscle contractions and nerve impulses.

Each tablet (250mg) contains 83% Recommended Daily Allowance.

Directions : Take one tablet daily, preferably with a meal. Do not exceed stated dose.

Pregnant or lactating women should consut a doctor before using any product.

Here's a quick linky to some points about Magnesium :

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/vitaminsandminerals/magnesium/

Here's another with quite a few links at the bottom in relation to Epilepsy & Magnesium :

http://goldbamboo.com/relate-tl1311-tr4293.html

Hope this helps ;)

My tablet by Country Life says that 250 mg is only 63% of the RDA
I was just giving Rebecca 500 mg each day and have bumped it to 1000mg. She weighs about 115lbs.

Recommended:
The magnesium requirement is thus relative, according to individual differences which may be either genetic or environmental1,2.
a large review of balance studies in developed countries, concluded that the minimum Mg intake required to maintain metabolic balance in equilibrium was about 6 mg/kg body weight per day, that is to say 330 mg for a 55 kg woman and 420 mg for a 70 kg man. As early as 1968, our initial personal data13 and subsequent updated reviews1,14 have been in good agreement with this level of Mg intake to ensure zero or positive Mg balance
It appears perfectly logical that an intake of a nutrient less than the sum of the daily losses must at some time result in deficiency and that such an intake must therefore be considered inadequate.
Supplementation should consist of a high magnesium density nutrient such as magnesium in water, which has better bioavailability than magnesium-fortified foods.
Epilepsy:
In his experiments, Barnett used magnesium gluconate, a form of magnesium which is easily absorbed by the system. 'Taken orally in this form, magnesium is harmless in almost any quantity," he reports. "The worst that can occur is that some individuals will become drowsy."
Animals, too, can develop neurological damage when their diet is deficient in magnesium. Grass tetany results when cattle cannot obtain magnesium in ample amounts from chlorophyll, the green coloring matter in grass. Muscle spasms, frothing at the mouth, hypersensitivity, increased pulse rate, and fatal convulsions may occur in prolonged depletion.
The uses of magnesium for nerve health still require further research, but even from the results of the few studies already made, we can be certain that unless our bodies are adequately fortified with this mineral, the nervous system can degenerate seriously.
www.mgwater.com

Last edited:
Night or day?

Actually, when I used to read a lot of health books, I read somewhere that night time was the best time to take vitamins, as the stomach was otherwise empty and had nothing else to work on, so the vitamin would be more easily absorbed. Dang. Can't remember where I read it.....So I take my mag at night. :)

I use an ionic variety, so I attempt to take it throughout the day.
I don't know why, but I forget easier at night. Perhaps I am just tired and not focused.
For some I bet your suggestions might just be the ticket though.

Seirues and Jasmine

I recently was was diagnosed with complex partial seizures and I am looking for alternative remedies and found several articles on jasmine and seizure dogs. I just want to know are they effective plus Itake magnesium and potassium and melatonin.

I recently was was diagnosed with complex partial seizures and I am looking for alternative remedies and found several articles on jasmine and seizure dogs. I just want to know are they effective plus Itake magnesium and potassium and melatonin.

Weelllll....my past experience with Jasmine hasn't proved to be particularly good with respect to my sz's. In fact, I found that it had the opposite effect with me.

Here's a guide to complementary 'therapies' and epilepsy - they may come in useful, who knows until you try :

http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/pages/info/leaflets/complime.cfm

Back
Top Bottom