Curious

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eeyore89

New
Reaction score
I had my first seizure a week before my 13th birthday, and there is no history of Epilepsy or seizures in my family at all. I was wondering if it's rare and if anyone else is in the same situation. My doctors thought it was kind of weird. Does anyone know if anything might have caused this? And like I said I was just wondering if anyone has found that to be with them. And if it's rare or not.

I had my first seizure a week before my 13th birthday, and there is no history of Epilepsy or seizures in my family at all. I was wondering if it's rare and if anyone else is in the same situation. My doctors thought it was kind of weird. Does anyone know if anything might have caused this? And like I said I was just wondering if anyone has found that to be with them. And if it's rare or not.

My absence seizures started when I was approx 10 years old and as far as my living relatives know there is no history of epilepsy in my family.

Hi eeyore! Actually, sudden onset is not that unusual. And, sometimes families are not that honest or don't know about the different kinds of seizures. for example, some seizures look like a person is just staring off into space. Others are just repetitive movements. And the ones that most people think of when you say seizure is the ones where the person falls on the floor and starts convulsing (that's the kind I have.). So sometimes they may not realize that those "staring spells" that "Great Uncle Zeke had" are actually seizures. And sometimes they do know, but are ashamed. So you might want to do some investigating in other possible reasons for seizures...for example, do you play alot of video games or watch TV shows/movies that have flickering light effects? (Yes, those can trigger seizures...) Do you have a food allergy (yup, these can too...)or how about sleep....(are you getting at least 7 hours??) Do you eat alot of sugar or drink energy drinks?? (Yes, they can trigger seizures too....) Did you have a high fever that was hard to break when you were a little kid?? Did you ever have a head injury? All of those can trigger or cause seizures...Good luck on tracking dwn the cause..and don't be surprised if you dont...Many of us dont know...

My daughters first seizure was when she was 14.
It is not rare at all. Many teens are hit by hormonal changes, bad nutrition, changes in sleeping habits, etc. Your brain is also still growing.

Being extremely careful with nutritional choices, supplementing for brain health, finding ways to eliminate stress, and stabilizing the brain, have all been extremely helpful in gaining better seizure control for Rebecca.

I am pretty careful with my sugar intake, caffeine and that kind of thing, my sleeping habits. I try and make sure I get at least 8 hours and what not. I was just curious if it was that way for others. And there is absolutely no history, including the staring ones. My mom searched thoroughly when we found out, but it's good to know that it's not as rare as I thought.

I started having my seizures at 11---with the onset of menses. There is no one that has anything but migranes in my family.---LMT

Migraines have recently been classified in the seizure family. Different than the typical "headache".

Hello! I started having seizures at the age of 27 although I have my suspicions it may have been earlier than that. No history in my family either. My brother in law also started having seizures at this age and again no family history.

I was dx'd at 2 but my seizures started before that.
I have a cousin who has epilepsy who inherited it from her father who's no blood relation to me.
She has a son who had epilepsy but grew out of it.
It was the dr's fault in my case the forceps he used on my head caused scar tissue caused my seizures.Anyone can start having seizures there doesn't be a person in the family has epilepsy for someone else to start having seizures.If they don't know what caused seizures there idiopathic unknown cause.
Belinda

Back
Top Bottom