Curious

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've just been soaking up all the info I can on this site. I can't tell you how much it has helped me to know others who have seizures. I feel like a complete freak half the time.lol

Anyway, I was just curious as to whether my other ailment has any link to eplipsey at all. My neurlogist doesn't think so but I am curious to see if any of you suffer from tinnuitis and BPV too. (Benign Positional Vertigo)

There has been an occasional post on tinnuitis.
Remember that Epilepsy is only a label. If you have two or more seizures you are given the diagnosis of Epilepsy. There can be a systemic cause to your symptoms. Rare that a neurologist would make the connection to let's say.... a GI problem, or a sensitivity to a food, or to a mineral deficiency, etc.

I have read information that a magnesium deficiency can cause both. You might look into this. Dr. Blaylock (a neurosurgeon I admire) has written many articles on the subject, and recommends it. Rebecca and I both take about 800 mg each day. It is what changed my life of having monthly migraines for 30 yrs.

I have tinnuitis too...periods of full, muffled, ringing ears, to no hearing at all...to high pitched echo and the constant humming. I also have periods of time where the floor is very wavy, almost like I 'see' a ceiling fan rotating on the floor with loss of balance and dizziness.

Isn't it awful Daisygirl? Ugh. The tinnuitis has been around so long I'm pretty much used to it. It seems louder when it's quiet. I sleep with a fan running to drown out the constant humming.

The BPV hits every few months or so. Whenever I lay back or turn in bed the whole room will spin violently. But I can get the fam doc to do the maneuvers exercise to get the calcium back in place and it stops immediately or sometimes it's not too bad and I can wait it out until it eases up in a few weeks.

I might have mentioned this before, but....

I don't have tinnitus but I have this beautiful fountain that when running has the most relaxing sound. I've found it great for insomnia, & no..... it doesn't make me have to pee.

I'd recommend getting one, there are some small but very nice looking & sounding ones that are rather inexpensive.

Ugh... I have tinnuitis too. It is a really high pitched ringing that comes and goes. Mostly comes. My neurologist says it's not related to my seizures or epilepsy. I'm not so sure. I think it had something to do with the Topamax that I was on before. I didn't have tinnuitis before I was on that stuff.

Thank You Robin. Magnesium deficiency, I have to look into that.

Great Idea Eric! I love the sound or rain so I'd probably would love a fountain!:clap:

Yes Endless, if it is your meds then it's something that can be changed and fixed. I've had tinnuitis and BPV for longer than I have been "labeled" with epilepsy.

I have complex partial seizures and tinnitus too. I am deafblind and have limited residual vision and almost no hearing left without hearing aids. I do use my vision and hearing the best I can but still require an interpreter for most things.
My twin also has these too.
Virtigo is a very common thing for people with severe hearing loss. The brain is trying to produce a sound to take the place of lack of hearing- or not hearing well. It can also be from damage in the ear and other problems. I have balance problems and virtigo but those probably have to do with how I walk and my hearing/vision probs..
Not being able to see the group or hear well makes it hard for my body to understand whats around me and orient myself by visual and auditory info that most people see and hear.
My guide dog Umbro helps me with my balance as well as guiding me. He also help with my hearing since I take cues from his body movement and he is also aware of my seizures. He received training while in guide dog school for basic seizure work..
He is a very aware and cautious dog.

Anyway, both virtigo and tinnitus are usually neurological and deal with the CNS or damage to nerves. It can different for everyone though.

Go to an audiologist and have your hearing tested as well as an ENT examine the inner ear for vestibular problems in the actual structure of your ear. Sometimes the equilibruim can be having troubles.

Take care
Crystal and her guide Umbro

Back
Top Bottom