Depression = Meds or Condition

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The Dude

New
Reaction score
Depression seems to go hand in hand when trying to treat seizure disorders. I can't decide if it is one of the many side effects of the cocktail of scrips or am I just having a hard time with the realization that one of four things will bring about my demise.

1. SUDEP
2. Fatal accident
3. Organ Failure due to side effects
4. or live a long "healthy" life

Being a husband and father of a 4 year old and given the choice I pick option 4. but I can't stop thinking that my time is short in this life. No I am not suicidal I am going through the period of acceptance which gives my wife some comfort. I really just want a chance to make a difference and leave a legacy (maybe through drug studies). I am thinking about making a video for my daughter so if I do encounter my demise before she gets to know her dad. I always thought I would live for ever but I have come to the realization that life is really just a race to the finish line and the looser gets to the finish line first.

What are some of your thoughts on this? Obviously everyone here wants option #4. But what are your main concerns?

# 1.
# 2.
# 3.

If you could pick just one of the three options above what would you choose. SUDEP on the surface I think seems the peaceful option.

If you are depressed, I hope you let your doc know. Whether it's a med side effect, a situational reaction to the fact that epilepsy sucks, or a co-occurring disorder, don't let it go unmentioned or untreated. You might find that very little intervention provides big relief, and helps you to avoid dwelling on the bad stuff that epilepsy can bring.

I refuse to pick any of those first three options. I understand the practical reasons for "planning ahead", but I'm not interested in letting the future cloud my present. I do love the idea of the video for your daughter -- not as insurance against early death, but just as a celebration of your love for her and a way to give her a record of your personality that she can enjoy and re-visit. I wish I had something like that of my father.

I have had a lot of psychological side effects from meds, to varying degrees but yes depression can be caused by medication. However obviously there are many issues that come along with epilepsy, if you dwell on all the bad things, it is easy for these feelings to swallow you up. Instead concentrate on enjoy the time that you do have. Anyone, epileptic or not may be hit by a bus tomorrow, you never know what the future holds.

Live each day as if it is your last. I agree with nakamova regardless of what happens, just having that message from her father would be lovely.

Each day I go to work and know that I may not come home. Who knows what will happen. Whatever does happen will happen. I just expect to enjoy my life until it does. I chose all of the above.

You're being very undude, dude..

Just kidding. Seriously, it depends on you and which drugs you take. It very well could be the drugs. It might help to know if you took a different drug prior to what you take now and if you felt depressed while taking it. If not, then maybe it is your current medication.

I think we all shoot for number 4. But, if anything, my experience has shown me that life is just a crapshoot anyway. Regardless of seizures or meds. You gotta live for today, so if you think a particular drug is making your today crappy, then you need to talk to your doc about other options.

On the other hand, you have a wife, you have a daughter. I'm a guy, who hasn't been able to have those things and it kills me, since I've had more med problems the last few years that have made meeting someone that much harder. (never easy for me anyway)

You have something pretty great going on in your life, so don't forget that. Oh, and watching the Big Lebowski always cheers me up when I'm down..

It can be to do with side effects of meds! but more than likely lots of stressfull things happening at once. I have depression due to meds and the way meds make me feel like dizzy sore heads and tired, and family life does it also.

I've been on this epilepsy train for 30+ years, still have several hundred partials seizures a year, and I absolutely do not think I am going to die of complications from it. If I do, it will be when I am 85 or older. There are a lot of stats to cherry pick from relating to sudep, but this is the one I am choosing to look at

"Studies of epilepsy in the general population found rates of SUDEP to be 0-1.35 deaths per 1000 patient years studied. For those with severe refractory epilepsy, the risk of SUDEP is about 0.5-1% per year."

It seems that the rates are higher in people with co-morbid conditions (heart disease, stroke, severe brain trauma, uncontrolled severe seizures, etc. but again, there is a wide variation in the stats. We could all die in a car wreck tomorrow, which is In my opinion it seems that the thing to do is to work on getting your symptoms under control, living a healthy life, and finding better things to do than spend your time planning for your legacy. Carry on! Enjoy your family, wife and career! Go for it!

I've been

on the E-train, as Arnie calls it for nearly 50 years now.

While I honestly prefer #4, I have no control over #1 or #2......no one does. That's just the plain simple truth.

#3 can hopefully be avoided if your docs pay attention to your blood serum levels, and manage your meds well. On the other hand, there are transplants available, and people do last a lot longer now than they used to on them.

But #4, if you manage your meds well, eat well, exercise, and de-stress....it's possible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Depression does go hand in hand with E at times, but it also goes hand in hand with life at times. Talk to your doctors about it. Check to make sure it's not your meds. Take things one day at a time, and be happy for everything you have. Start a gratitude book. Start a seizure diary--quite often keeping track of triggers, etc gives people a peace of mind.

Find a great hobby....doesn't matter what it is...just be safe.

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

I'm certainly not going to choose a way I'd prefer my daughter to go! Although naturally I worry about all of the above, as I'm sure she does too. SUDEP and the head injury thing scare the hell out of me and sometimes they are at the forefront of my mind but I know I really have to put them to the back

Rosie has had spells of depression and I think it's impossible to tell whether it's the meds or E itself or even a reaction to the return of her seizures. I think the focus has to be on trying to do something about it rather than its cause.

Cognitive behavioural therapy seems to have worked well for Rosie - making talking to someone about your fears and feelings about E would be helpful, on top of the things others have suggested.

I'm sorry if this thread is a buzz kill. You are all right. As I look back through the responses I realize that I am not alone. I am almost embarrassed (it would not hurt my feelings if this thread got deleted) with how I came across the other day in the above thread. My Dr bombarded me with so many different treatment options and statistics the other day and I've been chewing on those nuts. It seems as if the Dr. is running out of tricks from his magic bag. Pulling out a list of meds that are off label but "may" help or other drug studies all together. A bit overwhelming to me. Thank you all for your supportive voices and ears. For now I am jumping on the Lyrica band wagon. I am waiting to hear back from the research people about my eligibility for the latest drug study. Maybe that will be the magic bean.

t can be exhausting going from one treatment to another. Hang in there! I hope the Lyrica is the perfect med.

There's no need to be embarrassed. Depression from meds can be crippling, I got to the point where I was halfway to my local shop... Too scared to go there and too scared to go home and sat on the pavement for an hour having a panic attack!

If it is the meds upping the dose slower can help you deal with it.... If not... Well we all get a bit overwhelmed at some point or another. ANYONE on the earth could have a freak accident and not be here tomorrow, so enjoy today... Talk about your issues before they get too much, that's what we are all here for, support!

Chin up x

Back
Top Bottom