Diet Advice & Supplement Suggestions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MrE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I'd like to start off by giving my "recipe" for a healthy smoothie/shake whatever you want to call it that is nutritiously delicious! :D

O..K..you will need:

- a blender
- desired amount of berries and banana
- one scoop of whey protein (preferably one that doesn't have any artificial flavors etc. but has some added vitamins and minerals...b vitamins are good for epilepsy especially vitamin b12 because seizures may decrease your vitamin b12 (energy) levels! I prefer chocolate flavor
- desired amount of yogurt and/or milk...preferably coconut milk...regular milk has been known to cause a multitude of health problems...at least it does to me...anyway...
- finally a handful of raw (but cooked) almonds (or not your choice!) ...good source of healthy fats/omega 3's which are vital for a number of reasons including good brain function! :brain:

blend away and enjoy...don't forget to clean up the mess ;)

also...avocado's are another good source of healthy fats/omega 3's and go great with tacos!!! :agree:

Last edited:
Whew, I thought you were gonna say to put the avocados in there!! :)

Mmmm, sounds like a yummy smoothie to have after a morning run!

Whew, I thought you were gonna say to put the avocados in there!! :)

Mmmm, sounds like a yummy smoothie to have after a morning run!

Lol! I don't think that would taste very good :lol:

and it is a yummy smoothie any time of day really! but I'd imagine it is more beneficial as a pre and/or post workout...I was using frozen berries for a while there but read some not so good information about frozen fruit...so I switched to fresh...which is better for you anyway...preferably from your local farmers market if possible...it's all good! :D

Okay just a general suggestion here but for all of you who are really tense or have sensitive backs or just overall body discomfort...YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH A FOAM ROLLER!!! This thing is a miracle relief worker...well you do all the work it just gives you relief lol...tennis balls are really useful as well as well as other cheap/affordable self massage tools/equipment...but these are the easiest to use in my opinion...you can also use the foam roller for other areas of your body...not just your back...gotta get that myofascial release going!!! :D

Last edited:
WHOOPS! I kind of just realized that this topic is in the wrong section...MY BAD! Moderators please feel free to move this to the proper place if you feel the itchy need :D

Well here's something ya'll might wanna try... (I just had this for my first time today and OMG it is amazing!!!)

It involves one of the healthiest greens out there (and it's a superfood!)...you guessed it...KALE!

So anyway...

1. Grab (go buy) a big bag of the leafy good stuff and wash it (optional) in a big mixing bowl...

2. Pour some olive oil over it (however much you want) and mix it up with your hands (or a spoon...whatever)

3. Throw it on a cookie sheet covered in foil or something similar and put in the oven on 400 for about 10 minutes (or until crispy) ...you don't want to cook it much longer than 10 minutes because...

a. You'll burn it...duh

b. The olive oil will convert into trans fats (bad)

4. VOILA! You have instant "KALE CHIPS" as me and my wife call them...they're an absolutely delicious/nutritious snack! :D

Last edited:
Okay, that sounds like an awesome smoothie. Seriously awesome enough to make me go out and get a blender. I've been struggling to eat for ages so I think that's a really great solution. I also thought you were going to ask us to toss an avo in there. And from the little I know of you, it wouldn't be all that much out of character. :pfft:

Okay, that sounds like an awesome smoothie. Seriously awesome enough to make me go out and get a blender. I've been struggling to eat for ages so I think that's a really great solution. I also thought you were going to ask us to toss an avo in there. And from the little I know of you, it wouldn't be all that much out of character. :pfft:

Yeah we plan on getting a new one soon...when the weather warms up...not making smoothies now...it's still too cold lol

I have a good recipe for good breakfast cookies, or whenever you want a sweet treat.
2 ripe bananas, 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil (optional). Mash banana, add remaining ingreidents. Drop on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. I made some today and they are all gone now, very good.

I have a good recipe for good breakfast cookies, or whenever you want a sweet treat.
2 ripe bananas, 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil (optional). Mash banana, add remaining ingreidents. Drop on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. I made some today and they are all gone now, very good.

Sounds delicious! Thanks MAB! :)

You can even make Kale chips in the microwave:

Omg no just no! (you're destroying all the nutrients...shame on you :bondage:)

Well you can do what you want...I think when it comes to my greens I will either eat them right away or won't eat them at all (to each their own)

What me and my wife made weren't actually "KALE CHIPS"...it was just very lightly crisped kale covered in olive oil...so it still retained it's dark leafy goodness...we just referred to them as "chips" cuz well...they're addicting :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom