differentiating complex and simple partial seizure symptoms

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kyla

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had a hard time (maybe their doctors) figuring out if their seizures were complex partial or simple partial (or even absences)? What I mean by this is, do you have symptoms of simple partials and complex partials in one seizure?

I am asking because my 'stare offs' sound like both simple partial and complex partial seizures smushed into one. Because I had originally thought that my episodes were simple partial because I had a pretty good idea when I've stared off and what I was doing during it. I also had twitches or movements that were involved on the right side of my body (which I just read can be found in both simple and complex seizures). However, I tend to get an aura sometimes before I have a stare off. But….if these are simple partials, there is no aura right? So that made me think that these were complex partials because I get auras sometime. But then again, if I pretty much know what I'm doing during my episodes…then it can't be a complex partial either right? Did/does anyone experience this? How did you go about knowing what you had?

Kyla

There are kind of gray areas in the seizure continuum. In my understanding a simple partial seizure is an aura IF it precedes a complex partial seizure or a generalized seizure. If it stands alone it is a simple partial. It seems that the main difference between a simple and complex partial is that in a complex partial seizure there is an "alteration of consciousness". That does NOT mean that you pass out or totally lose control, but that there are some things that you are unaware of. In my case, during my complex partials I am aware of what is going on, I can carry on conversations, although apparently my speech is a little slurred, I can drive, ride a bike, continue working on bicycles, look at the clock to see what time it is, etc. My main alteration of consciousness is that during the seizure I do some lip smacking or chewing type behavior of which I am completely and totally unaware. Even when I know I am having a seizure and pay attention to see if I'm smacking, I am STILL unaware of it. It's a weird thing. I started a thread recently about finally seeing myself having a seizure. After 30+ years of seizures, I happened to be in a readers' theater production and I had a seizure when I was on stage the night they were filming it. Anyhow, I hope that helps. Wikipedia has a decent article on seizure types, and if you google seizure types you will find more info. Good luck with it!

Arnie's explanation is exactly how the doctor in the seizure investigation unit explained it: ie. that a SP is an aura if it precedes another seizure type, but if it does not, then it is a simple partial seizure. And simple partial seizures can be preceded by auras, or "warnings", as well.
I also get complex partial seizures, and I am aware of much of what goes on but there are "gaps" in what I recall, and my sense of time is generally distorted (eg. I will say some aspect of my seizure lasted a few seconds when really it was more like 30 seconds, that kind of thing).

Speaking of time distortion, I have found that about half the time after I've had a complex partial I will not know what day of the week it is. It may come to me quickly, or I may be able to figure it out by some "clue", such as what TV show I had watched the previous night. Other times I have zero idea, and even looking at the calendar is meaningless. The only thing I can do then is look at my phone. Isn't it amazing what seizures do to us? And it's only the big stuff that we are aware of. Think of all the little tiny things that happen in our bodies and brains that we never notice, both as a side effect of our "known" seizures and a direct effect of the subclinical seizures that many of us have, probably without even suspecting it.

It is unnerving, isn't it. I have almost exclusively nocturnal seizures, and have been told I likely have some "mini-seizures" (I am guessing the same as subclinical) that I don't wake for. Scary!

My neurologist has explained to me that via the seizures I have (aside from the gran mals), the simple partials are the ones where I am basically still able to see and somewhat understand what is around me, like I don't see myself leaving reality. He says that my complex partials are the ones where I basically leave this world... I see things and people but I know not what any of it is. Neither of the two can I talk, but then in the complex, i guess what would it matter to me as I step out of this world. Auras I first learned here on CopingWithEpilepsy, would be when I feel in my mind that a seizure is on its way, which is almost all of them I have so there I am not sure.

Oh and time distortion... that is certainly part of life with me and my seizures as well. I can guess all I want after it is all over, but in reality when one has a seizure, how could they know anything of time, or at least in my world that is a certainty.

I have CPs and I usually have the aura before the seizure. If the aura doesn't go into a CP, then it is considered a SP. An aura is a warning of a bad seizures coming on for me, time to get to a safe place. The CPs are an altered state of consciousness. People may talk to me but "no one is home". I've also had TC's that started out as an aura, proceed to a CP and generalize into a TC. That is how the generalized seizures are for me, even with the CP I usually have an aura.

For more info on auras, check out this website, done by experienced doctors specializing in Epilepsy:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/auras

Some people have a distinctive feeling or some other warning sign when a seizure is coming. A warning like this is also called an aura. Although some auras are unpleasant, they can be helpful because they can give you time to prepare for the seizure and keep yourself from being injured. Most injuries from seizures happen if there is no warning sign, if the warning is not recognized, or if there is not enough time to react to it.

Last edited:
This is how I differentiate between the two:

I consider my simple partial seizures when I'm still aware of what's going on but things may not look right or I won't feel right. I may be doing something but have a hard time doing it or figuring out how to do it. I know what people are saying to me but when I answer I may have trouble figuring out what words to say or my speech will be slured.

I consider a complex partial when I black out and don't know what I'm doing or anything that's going on around me. I have talked perfectly and done things exactly how they should be done during them. When I come out of it I don't even know that it happened unless there was someone there to see me have it.

Sometime I'll have a semi before I go into a complex and other times I won't.

I have had seizures before that are a mix of simple and complex combined. I'll be aware of what's going on. When someone is talking to me I know what they are saying and I'll answer them, but the words that are coming out of my mouth aren't what they should be. I'll be doing something, knowing exactly what I'm doing, but it isn't what I'm actually doing. And other thing of this sort. I don't know what types these are considered?

Back
Top Bottom