Dilantin And Skin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

NaderH

Pillar
Reaction score
Does anyone know why dilantin causes skin to become damaged more easily with dilantin? I noticed that my skin is becoming red more often on my hands due to rubbing. Even scratching them leaves marks. I think this is related to some vitamin or mineral deficiency caused by dilantin.

You might want to have a doctor look at that.
Phenytoin should be discontinued if a skin rash appears (see Warnings regarding drug discontinuation). If the rash is exfoliative, purpuric, or bullous or if lupus erythematosus, Stevens-Johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis is suspected, use of this drug should not be resumed and alternative therapy should be considered (see Adverse Effects). If the rash is of a milder type (measles-like or scarlatiniform), therapy may be resumed after the rash has completely disappeared. If the rash recurs upon reinstitution of therapy, further phenytoin medication is contraindicated.

Phenytoin

Although my EX-Neuro and nurse nixed that Dilantin was having an effect on my skin even though I could prove it was affecting several other parts of my life. When I stopped taking that stuff, my skin did improve to some degree. Then again I do live in Minnesota and have chronic dry skin. If you were to get a chart showing the number of things Dilantin can effect compared with two or three other drugs, you would be a little surprised how many more things the Dilantin can mess up. Notice I said that was my EX-Neuro. The new one allowed me to get off Dilantin right away. And do I feel better.

I think I have found out what has been causing my skin to become more sensitive while taking dilantin. Folic acid deficiency is the answer. Nearly all AEDs cause this effect to occur. Folate helps cells maintain themselves. Over time, folate deficiency can lead to very dry skin, cracking sounds of joints, fatigue and even changes in brain function. The solution to this problem is to take folate tablets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom