do you have trouble remembering things?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've noticed the memory getting worse and not remembering how I got to work a few weeks ago. Not sure if that's the same as losing time but I have "daydreamed" in the past where I ended up at a spot and not remembering a period of time between the start and where I "woke up." That was a little puzzling but starting to make sense now.
Neil

Zoofemme and Neil,

Losing time sounds like a complex partial to me. Sometimes I don't remember a trip somewhere. The difference between a wandering mind and a seizure is with a wandering mind you can remember where your mind wandered TO. In other words, you can remember what you were thinking about, or at least that you were thinking at all. Completely blanking out - could be a complex partial. Tell your doctor, okay?

Thanks Endless. What are some of the other symptoms of a "complex partial?" I've had a few other instances of feeling slightly out of it or distorted vision.
Thanks Again,
Neil

But endless...I'm confused. I thought you had an aura with most complex partials??? I have a taste aura with the tunnel one I get. The one I have that generalizes; well the t/c wipes my memory out so I dont remember what happens so not even sure what the partial part of that one is and the doc says it probably ahppens so quick that no one pciks up on it. I'm getting really tired of all of this, my brain is failing and I don't no why. The meds are suppose to be taking care of this. My doc is going to think I'm some kind of freak or alarmist or something if I keep hitting her with new stuff everytime I see her :(

Don't feel bad Zoo, I'm sure my new Neurologist probably thinks I'm a bit crazy and I'm already getting ready to find another one since I don't have a lot of confidence in her. I'm just beginning to realize I'm having more "simple partials" than I realized, which is beginning to scare the HELL out of me!
Neil

I'm lucky enough to have a good neuro now Neil....I just don't want her to start thinking she has a rotten patient :eek: The other thing with yesterdays episode was no stutter and I usually stutter after a cp. I will say that my brain was like sloggin through mud yesterday and my husband got VERY annoyed and frustrated with me by the time we got everything done (had to grocery shop too). I had speech "problems" but not the usual stutter, just aphasia and saying wrong words.

The aura that can precede a Complex Partial is actually classified as a Simple Partial. So while some people have the aura, it's also possible to have the Complex Partials without having the Simple Partial first.

If you're losing chunks of time, that does seem to be a Complex Partial, and it's worth talking with your neuro about.

Thanks nakamova...can I go beat my head against a wall now??? Sorry, I'm just, I don't know...it seems I can't turn around with out bumping into something anymore. It's sad when you sit back and say "what ever happend to just the good-ol' T/Cs?" Can old scars really spark off this much new activity though? I can understand change, but new or added is what is really bothering me.

Some people get auras, some don't. All depends on the person. I'm a "sometimes" kind of person. Sometimes get them, sometimes don't.

I dont realy think mine is like that. one problem (i think i did before i even started having seizures) is ill be at a church service, hearing and agreeing with what is being said, but as soon as i get out i have to think hard to remember what was said.

and like i said earlier, if i only drive somewhere once, chances are the next time i wont have any clue how to do it. iv been doing my lawn mowign route for weeks now and still have to follow the gps.

My daughter can occasionally mix up words like saying < I need the treasure>
instead of< I need the thesaurus>. Her grades are in the toilet -- gone from a A & B student to a C & D student.

Take Care :e:

Oh, Lord. I feel like I hit bottom on the memory thing today.

First I got lost in my one of my doctor's building. And I couldn't remember the name of the clinic, or what it was. I didn't recognize the place, either. I finally remembered the type of clinic and someone showed me the elevator that would take me there.

Then in the doctor's office I couldn't remember the day, month, or year. Three times.

Then on the way home I was trying to remember if my epi's assistant left a message or not. Turns out she did. With all the info I asked her to call and leave again, because apparently I had deleted it.

It's usually not this bad. What's happening to me?

My epi lowered my dose of Trileptal to 900 mg 3x per day. We'll see if that helps.

I'm home now. And I'm staying here.

Actually I think that if this has to happen to you what better a time than when the neurologist can see it first hand?

Well darn. I didn't see the neurologist. It was another type of doctor. :(

Well darn. I didn't see the neurologist. It was another type of doctor. :(

Would it be helpful to have that doctor put his observations on paper for the neurologist? Some neurologists listen more to other doctors speaking in medicalese than they do their clients.

Hey,
Ive had problems with remembering stuff since i was dignosed 8 years ago and its got worse. someone can say be like, oh remember last week ad i'll be like... noo! and i can be in the middle of a sentence and just forget what i was talking about. i suffer from absences too though so aparently that increases the chance of memory loss. my doc also put me on slow release tegretol to see if that helped. it didn't like x

if my med levels are low and I'm having more sz than normal, I have trouble remembering things, it's kind of a strange feeling to describe- but raising my med levels and stopping the sz - I can feel my brain settle down and the sz stop.

OMG! I am reading this and not believing what I am reading! I am not yet diagnosed but had one EEG that showed spikes in the left parietal lobe and one EEG that was normal.
I have had the 'losing blocks of time' for a while, and never knew it could have anything to do with seizures. My memory is really bad too!
I also, mix up words very often, and mumble words together. I do get the nausea and light headed, dizzy sick feeling too.
All of this can be seizure related???

Should I call my neuro with these symptoms? I have never told him, because I did not know they were related to seizures.

My memory is terrible. I forget names and quite often words! I have a word on the tip of my tongue, but can't "spit it out".
I use my phone as my "brain" for as much as I can. Gotta love technology. Of course, I can't do too much on it, but it's often more than my brain.

Back
Top Bottom