Do You & Are You Prepared?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
Not to long ago I was taking a bath(I wasnt by myself, my hubby was in the room) and I was think. How many people prepare each morning and/or each night to go to the hospital?
Let me explain.....
I prepare when I wake up and go to bed. I make sure I m wearing matching panties and or bra, make sure my legs and everything is shaved, I don't smell, all the animals food and water though out the day is topped off, my teeth are clean, and etc.
I even typed up a list of what my husband can bring to me if I have to stay or get flown out to a different hospital(the hospital here can't take care of seizure patients)
I also have a folder that my husband can bring to the hospital with my information, just in case he forgets.
I know a lot pf people who think you are preparing for it then you are faking it, for me it's not it's like my own birthing plan. Since I m not going there to have a baby it's my own seizure plan.
Do any of you have your own plan? And what is it?
I can't wait to hear what you all have to say :D

If it happens then it happens.
I can care less if my panties match or not. :p

I realy could care less and I am a long time at this - suppose thats why. but the truth is I still have a plan in place for my wife, much like you, only without the panties. (Thats the wifes problem, sorry just though I would try and be funny)

Last edited:

:agree: If it is an emergency, then who the hell cares if one is wearing matching panties and bra. As a matter of fact, my 1st visit to the ER, I was totally naked.
I had my 1st TC seizure in the shower and suffered burns. I had not been diagnosed with E yet, so was not prepared to go to any hospital, let alone an ER.

LOL @ Fedup
coffeescreen.gif

Lucky for us, the A.F.B. hospital is down the road, less than 2 miles. Just this past spring, I was hauled off by ambulance because of chest pains.
ambulance-041.gif
I was in my nightie, sans panties. :oops: It wasn't a pretty sight. But when I had my last clonic tonic, I ended up in ER for several hours but, I was dressed nice, as we had gone to dinner and then shopping in Wal-Mart.:razz2:

Because we live so close to the hospital and cell phones are now a part of our anatomy, a prepared list really isn't necessary. My family has had enough hospitalizations, surgeries and ambulance trips
sigh.gif
that most of the stuff we might need to bring is instinctive.
bad-idea-014.gif

I think it's great that you have a plan so you can feel more comfortable and prepared each day! I'm sure your pets love it too. I'd try not to wear too nice a bra though. They just cut through it anyways in an emergency. Having your medical records organized is a fabulous idea! That way they know what has been done already and what to look out for.
At work they requested that I have an I.C.E. sheet (in case of emergency) so they know what meds I am on, that I have a dilantin allergy and who should be contacted if 911 has to be called. At work everyone knows where my rescue meds are and I have to keep it in the same spot each day.

I agree, don't care about bra and panties matching; if there's anything for me it's that I go sans-underwear, so if there was a time that I didn't come out of one on my own and woke up in an ER bed, I'd know that they yanked my pants off and 'blush' nothing was covering me up. If I was in such a situation tho I would know it was bad and really wouldn't care if I had on one sock, grandma's nightie, boyfriend's pants, no bra, and hell let's throw a mitten on for fun... as long as I was in a place that knew what to do with me.

But JLoge I completely get why you do it, esp. the medical info ready to go, that is very smart. I agree with LJ, I think maybe I should do that. And ya know what if being shaved and matching, etc. is what works for you then that's what matters. Being comfortable and collected rather than scared and scattered is a great feeling, and we all have our own ways of achieving that.
My concern morning and night is that I take my pills, as long as that is done then I'm not too concerned about anything else. :ponder: If I'm in the ER and my boyfriend can't take care of feeding kids and our one plant (we don't have pets) then having a seizure may not be my biggest concern.

I think it's great that you have a plan so you can feel more comfortable and prepared each day! I'm sure your pets love it too. I'd try not to wear too nice a bra though. They just cut through it anyways in an emergency. Having your medical records organized is a fabulous idea! That way they know what has been done already and what to look out for.
At work they requested that I have an I.C.E. sheet (in case of emergency) so they know what meds I am on, that I have a dilantin allergy and who should be contacted if 911 has to be called. At work everyone knows where my rescue meds are and I have to keep it in the same spot each day.

I was told that you can't be allergic to Dilatin. Hat happeneds to you when you are giving Dilantin? I m starting to think I m allergic because when I get it my husband says it makes my seizures worse.

It's always good prepared to go to the hospital & knowing you could be hospitalized for seizures, you can have a plan in place but the down side is never knowing when it'll happen or where.

All the times I've been hospitalized 3 out of 4, I was home in bed too sick to get up and the one time, December 29th 2011, I was in kidney failure and woke up paralyzed, couldn't move & I was in my nightgown and panties and had ben too sick to get up, let alone shower and in the ER they cut off all my clothes.

The one and only time I was sent to the ER and had already showered and dressed was when I had the seizure but I wasn't expecting it. The other times I was too sick & couldn't shower & when you go to the hospital and can't walk or get up, the only way to bathe is when the nurses give you a sponge bath. I hate not being able to take a shower, even for a day so sponge baths feel wonderful in a pinch

I was going to say the same thing. Heck Ive ended up in the ER taken by ambulance last year when I was having trouble breathing. Turned out I had bronchitis. But when the ambulance came to get me, I had been in bed for two days, no bath, not shaved... and in a tshirt and underwear in bed with a fever! LOL It was not a pretty site! I had to get some pj pants on, some slippers and off they took me!

Having your medical records organized is a fabulous idea! That way they know what has been done already and what to look out for.
......I have an I.C.E. sheet (in case of emergency) so they know what meds I am on,

I, too have my medical problems listed and the meds, doctors name's and phone #'s plus emergency #'s of relatives or those to call in case of emergency, all printed and on my refrigerator. Plus I wear a MedicAlert bracelet that has all that info and I also have the MedicAlert card in my wallet.

Before the 5 day EEG I made sure I took care of all my hygiene stuff. Knowing full well I would be to whacked out to process even the easy stuff. Luckily, the fiance had all my info whenever we see doctors. I just joke around and call her my secretary. Funny thing is, she's better at keeping track of things then most of the Dr's secretaries, they tend to make a lot of mistakes.

Cint

I had to get rid of my MedicAlert bracelet years ago for the simple reason, people seen it and wanted to know what was wrong with me, thats when the problems started.

JLogefeil

You wondered about my allergy to Dilantin? My reaction was that I got hives and was itchy all over. It was crazy uncomfortable.

No, I've never made a plan. What I have with me has always been the least of my worries; someone can always bring stuff later.

Plus I wear a MedicAlert bracelet that has all that info and I also have the MedicAlert card in my wallet.
I still wear my Medic Alert bracelet & have the Medic Alert card in my wallet.
I paid the fee for my Medic Alert bracelet in July & when they sent me the updated card they also sent me a card with my details on it which you can put on the fridge in case of an emergency. I put the 'fridge card' on a pin board near my computer. I figure if I ever did need an ambulance they would be more likely to find it near my computer (where i spend alot of my spare time) instead of on my fridge which has alot of magnets & crap on it.

I downloaded an app called ICE. It shows your picture and a list of all medications and where you want to be taken. Other than that, I don't have a plan. I don't even own matching bra and panties. I guess I should go shopping.............

I had to get rid of my MedicAlert bracelet years ago for the simple reason, people seen it and wanted to know what was wrong with me, thats when the problems started.

Are you saying the problems started when people started asking questions? :ponder: When/if people see my MedicAlert bracelet and ask about it, I happily tell them, just in case I were ever to have a seizure in front of them.

I put the 'fridge card' on a pin board near my computer. I figure if I ever did need an ambulance they would be more likely to find it near my computer (where i spend alot of my spare time) instead of on my fridge which has alot of magnets & crap on it.

:agree: That is a much better place for it. Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom