does anyone ever

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

newgirl

New
Reaction score
have, i dont know, like, a short out in their brain? you know, someone is talking to you and you completely miss what they are saying? so you have to tell them to email it to you? i have to do this WAAAAY more often then i like. then i can check my email and really understand what they are talking about.

aLSO, i CANT EVER REMEMBER WHAT i PROMISED PEOPLE. THE MOST COMMON EXCUSE i GIVE: "I read alot of emails, made alot of calls and talked to alot of people since we last talked, so where did i last leave you?" admittedly not the most polite or brilliant line, but it seems to do in a pinch.

anyone else have this problem?

i guess you could call it spacing out. i have learned to survive in a conversation enough to politely excuse myself but not by much.

When my meds have been too low, I've had those moments where it's as if someone switched my power button on-and-off very quickly. This kind of "brain skip" can be a sign of a breakthrough seizure, or it could be med-related. Worth mentioning to your doc...

I have to call a lot of different people through out my day as well. I find it frustrating when they return my call and I have to ask them "What did I call you about?". That happens daily. I just try to laugh it off with " I talk to so many people", for the most part, it works. My big problem is names. Especially people I know well!!

im like this all time! i have to write everythin done because i wont remember anything!!!

What you describe is my aura that happens 30 seconds or less before I seize along with my eye drooping and then I become weak. When that happens I hightail it to a private floor somewhere.
All of a sudden my brain goes blank and I forget what I'm doing, stop talking and I see and hear people talking but I can't concentrate or really know what they are saying.

I think that the "where did I last leave you?" line is genius!! It's not point blank rude, it doesn't hint at what happens to you, and you get the information you require!

I just use the "sorry, I missed all that. Too many concerts :)" But it happens often, luckily mostly when I am at home.

I have had that happen way too much. My Neurologist calls them starring spells. My doc actually suspended my drivers license and after 6 months just got it re-instated yesterday due to my starring spells. My meds took care of these staring spells

OMG I DO THIS ALMOST DAILY!!!! I really anger people because of this. I will cut off right in the middle of a conversation like we were never talking. People assume I am not listening to them .... but its not the case

Yep, and it's why I can't learn via listening to someone. Though I think mine is more memory related than my mind skipping out (though that happens sometimes too). Someone gives me directions and I'll forget what they said one minute later, even though I repeated it to myself. When I had my neuropsych eval, I had to repeat back a sentence that the psychologist had just spoken, and I could only remember like five words. He said it was a result of a few things, though the main things were attention and working memory. Both of which can be influenced by the temporal lobe and/or the parietal and frontal lobes.

I have absence seizures but I don't remember the staring. I always have a headache after and have to sleep.. I don't know if its possible to remember the staring. I'm too new to know. Hope you see a doc and get answers!
All my best
Abi :)

Back
Top Bottom