Does anyone here take DHEA?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I tried it when I was regularly going to the gym . Working out reduced my seizures but I took DHEA for no longer than a week & it noticeably increased the severity & frequency of my seizures.

I tried it when I was regularly going to the gym . Working out reduced my seizures but I took DHEA for no longer than a week & it noticeably increased the severity & frequency of my seizures.

Just curious: Did you take 25mg, 50mg, or 100mg?

I think it was 25 Mg. It was a long time ago but I was going to start a low dose & work my way up.

Stacy has taken it at times in the past on the recommendation of her GP, but she was given specific symptoms to look out for that would indicate it was time to stop taking it. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were at the moment. I would think that increased seizures would be a no-brainer though.

I took it for a couple of months and recently had several days where I had seizures right before I woke up. I stopped taking it.

Stacy has taken it at times in the past on the recommendation of her GP, but she was given specific symptoms to look out for that would indicate it was time to stop taking it. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were at the moment. I would think that increased seizures would be a no-brainer though.

Racing heart rate? You just reduce the dose then. I had that taking 50mg and 100mg but it stopped when I dropped the dose.

I have been taking it again. I noticed it helps stabilize blood sugar. And of course hypoglycemia causes seizures.

Another thought on DHEA and seizures

DHEA: The Buffering Steroid?

DHEA may be unique among hormones for it’s lack of specificity for hormone receptor sites. Just as vitamin E has never been shown to have a specific metabolic role (it is only proven essential as a general antioxidant), DHEA may serve an equally general purpose. “DHEA is the first example of a buffer action for hormones that I know of,” states William Regelson. “It is a broad-acting hormone that only demonstrates itself under a specific set of circumstances. In that way, it is like a buffer against sudden changes in acidity or alkalinity. That is why when you get older, you’re much more vulnerable to the effects of stress. As DHEA declines with age, you are losing the buffer against the stress-related hormones. It is the buffer action that [helps prevent] us from aging.” The decrease of DHEA with age may result in gradual decline of a system for suppressing enzyme systems responsible for creating the building blocks of new cells, like lipids, nucleic acids (RNA and DNA) and sex steroids. The resulting rise in enzymatic activity in advanced age may be responsible for the proliferative events (cancer) and degenerative disease that become more frequent in advanced age. In this respect, DHEA might be best considered to be an anti-hormone, which might “de-excite” steroid-sensitive receptors that would otherwise lead to enhanced metabolic activity.

I was thinking along the logic of both:

1) How DHEA makes it easier to deal with stess (an obvious seizure trigger)

2) If it is true that DHEA can act as a buffer to your blood's PH that may prevent seizures because it would make sense that if someone's blood's PH fluctuates, it could be a possible seizure trigger.

Just a thought. Here's the whole article. I'm pretty sure I posted it before. I just didn't notice the possible blood PH connection.

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/research_dhea.htm

Hello,

I am new to the site and searched for "DHEA" and found your post.

In response to your question, I believe, and it's purely speculation, that DHEA is what made me become epileptic in the first place.

I have a temporal angioma and began having seizures in Oct. 2008 after taking 10mg DHEA supplements along with Wellbutrin.

The Wellbutrin lowered my seizure threshold for sure. I immediately went off of it but continued with the DHEA supplements, which I had compounded at a pharmacy.

I loved the benefits of DHEA: faster metabolism, increased libido, better muscle tone (I am now a 45-year-old woman). I think where it went wrong was too much of a good thing... I took them for 3 years (too long) and now my own body cannot make DHEA on it's own. My testosterone is low (DHEA converts to testosterone as well as other hormones), and I believe I am suffering from "non-Addison's adrenal fatigue". I believe this because any time I encounter a stressful situation I have a seizure about 2 days after. My adrenals are not able to keep up with the stress and I think it's because I have suppressed them with the DHEA.

My recommendation to you is to not take anything if you don't have to. I'm now paying the price for it. I used to be healthy and thought I could be "healthier" if I took more. My angioma was fine- but I made it active by messing around with stuff I really didn't need.

Hope that helps.

Welcome Jules

Also thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

Depression and mood disorders: There is some concern that patients with a history of depression and bipolar disorder might have some mental side effects if they use DHEA. DHEA can cause mania (excitability and impulsiveness), irritability, and sexual inappropriateness in people with mood disorders. If you have a mood disorder, be sure to discuss DHEA with your healthcare provider before you start taking it. Also, pay attention to any changes in how you feel....

DHEA is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when used for just a few months. It can cause some side effects including acne, hair loss, stomach upset, and high blood pressure. Some women can have changes in menstrual cycle, facial hair growth, and a deeper voice after taking DHEA.

DHEA is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when used in larger amounts and long-term. Do not use DHEA in doses higher than 50-100 mg a day or for a long period of time. Using higher doses or long-term use of DHEA can increase the chance of side effects.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/331.html#DrugInteractions

DHEA may interact with GABA-receptor drugs used for seizures or pain. DHEA may decrease the effectiveness of methadone. DHEA may add to the effects of clofibrate or contribute to tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer....

Few side effects are reported when DHEA supplements are taken by mouth in recommended doses. Side effects may include fatigue, nasal congestion, headache, acne, or rapid/irregular heartbeats. In women, the most common side effects are abnormal menses, emotional changes, headache, and insomnia. Individuals with a history of abnormal heart rhythms, blood clots or hypercoagulability, and those with a history of liver disease, should avoid DHEA supplements.
Because DHEA is a hormone related to other male and female hormones, there may be side effects related to its hormonal activities. For example, masculinization may occur in women, including acne, greasy skin, facial hair, hair loss, increased sweating, weight gain around the waist, or a deeper voice. Likewise, men may develop more prominent breasts (gynecomastia), breast tenderness, increased blood pressure, testicular wasting, or increased aggressiveness. Other hormonal-related side effects may include increased blood sugar levels, insulin resistance, altered cholesterol levels, altered thyroid hormone levels, and altered adrenal function. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hyperglycemia, high cholesterol, thyroid disorders, or other endocrine (hormonal) abnormalities. Serum glucose, cholesterol and thyroid levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare professional, and medication adjustments may be necessary.
In theory, DHEA may increase the risk of developing prostate, breast, or ovarian cancer. DHEA may contribute to tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer. Other side effects may include insomnia, agitation, delusions, mania, nervousness, irritability, or psychosis.
http://www.wellness.com/reference/herb/dhea/dosing-and-safety

Onset of late posttraumatic seizure after dehydroepiandrosterone treatment

Back
Top Bottom