Donating blood???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Is it okay to donate blood? Does the Red Cross etc. permit people on AED's to give if they have good seizure control? Is it advisable even if it's permitted? I used to give all the time and have always felt that it's at least one little thing I can do to help others, but I certainly don't want provoke anything. Any experiences or thoughts?

Hi, Travelbug,

I have a blood-giving goal for my life. Long story. I thought nobody would want my blood now considering the AED's. But oddly enough, my drugs aren't on our blood bank's forbidden list. I'm temporarily prevented from donating but it's because of travels and not the drugs.

There are different rules for different blood banks. Call yours or visit their website to see what their rules are.

I've never had donating blood trigger a seizure. Might be different for different people, though.

Thanks, Endless, that's good to know. With all the blood I've had drawn for tests with no problems, I didn't think a few spoonfuls more would hurt:lol:

I'm temporarily prevented from donating but it's because of travels and not the drugs.

I'm intrigued:D

Check out this thread:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/donating-blood-2483/

My neurologist flat-out told me I couldn't give. I always thought the restriction had to do with the meds in my bloodstream, but apparently it has more to do with the donor's risk of having a seizure. So since I'm stable right now, I'm considering giving again. I used to give all the time, and I have nice veins (if I do say so myself).

Thanks, Ms. "nice veins" Nakamova:)

That was a very helpful thread. I really need to use the search feature more often:paperbag:

My veins aren't so nice, but they get the job done:)

Back
Top Bottom