Coping With Epilepsy Dr. Karen Shue - Brain and Health
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Toronto, Ontario
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement
 

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts

Dum things people say to you when you're uncontrolled


This morning I was on my way across the road on my usual milk run and discovered the most irritating person on my planet has moved into my block. In one minute, he managed to say three of the most annoying things you can say to someone with chronic illness:

-1) But you look so WELL. (Thanks. I had three seizures yesterday and i had to take an hour's sleep to work up the energy to do my across-the-road milk run. But I'm so glad I look well.)
-2) But you still have that smile. (Thanks. I was crying my eyes out two hours ago and had to wait until I looked half decent to take my milk run. I smile because if I didn't, I'd be in a loony bin. And are you seriously flirting with me right now? Seriously?)
-3) Let's go out next week. (Hellooooo. I told you two months ago I was too sick to socialise. Aside from that, you're the dullest person I've ever met. Aside from that, if I ever had to spend an hour with you, first I'd chop off my own head with a butter knife. Aside from that, I don't socialise with people who don't care enough to actually offer to help out when I'm ill.)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
People are stupid what can I say...which is one of the reasons why I barely ever leave the house...I don't have patience for stupidity...when around other people I'm dangerous because I'm extremely sensitive....it's landed me in jail a few times...

All I can say is don't waste your time or energy with these sheeple
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
Anyway...

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
I'm not so much upset as annoyed. It takes a whole lot to make me angry, so that's a rarity. This guy is also just an a-hole. I don't know anyone who likes him. BUT it does put a golden lining on the fact that my lease ends at the end of March.

BUT what is really getting to me these days is how none of my friends is helping out. I have two friends who have been supportive. One is blind, so he can't drive to help me practically, otherwise he would. The other is one of those intensely unemotional guy-guys if you know what I mean. So he wants to help but doesn't know how and it's my fault that I haven't asked. Everyone else kind of offers and then isn't willing to do anything--same thing that happened to my mom. Then they post all these 'support autism' and 'support cancer' ribbons on their facebook pages, which really irritates me because they actually can support someone who's ill or who has cancer but they won't. They'd rather make themselves feel better by posting facebook ribbons.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
On the plus side, I got really tired of needing support and not having it so I just emailed the epilepsy foundation who has lay counselors and offers really good practical support.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 AM
Belinda5000's Avatar
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,241
Thanks: 429
Thanked 596 Times in 474 Posts
The one that can really get on my nerves is do you take medicine. or even better yet don't you think you need someone with you all the time,I once kept myself from loosing it when someone said what if you have on while your walking your dog.It's happened and he doesn't leave me and wander off.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Belinda5000 View Post:
The one that can really get on my nerves is do you take medicine. or even better yet don't you think you need someone with you all the time,I once kept myself from loosing it when someone said what if you have on while your walking your dog.It's happened and he doesn't leave me and wander off.
How about the one that goes, "Don't you think you're taking too much medication?"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
Hah! Never mind speaking my true feelings...it will get me into way too much trouble...seriously...no joke...

but anyway...if anyone understands your frustration/irritation it's me...I was hospitalized once for throwing a huge "temper tantrum"...when I get that way better get out of my way and shut your mouth because I'm liable to just take your lip and staple it to the back of your neck...

yeah I don't have any local friends (hell I don't even know anyone...slightly agoraphobic here) and I barely ever talk to my family...the only place I "socialize" is here on the internetz (Ironically I met my wife on the internetz...and kitty lol)...in a sense it has it's own dangers because I sometimes get so pissed off (for really no good reason) that I inadvertently direct my rage towards my wife...not in an abusive way of course...no I just have this really nasty attitude and want to be left alone...but I admit I am stubborn and that stubborn part of me is enhanced greatly when I encounter so much ignorance/arrogance on the internetz (what else is new)...it's sad really that I allow myself to be effected by such mindless nonsense...I should just learn to enjoy my life and be happy regardless...oh wait...I am...but as long as I'm here on the internetz...there will ALWAYS be things to PISS...ME...THE...****...OFF!!! (so the responsible/rational thing to do is accept the things you cannot change and change what you can...for yourself...nobody else)

Grrr just talking about all this makes me angry (but it's also therapeutic which is kind of the point)...I too am seeing a counselor because if I don't "vent" every now and then...I will literally start to feel like I'm losing my mind...and have one of my little "schizophrenic explosions"

and now I shower...need to cool off both literally and figuratively
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
Must be tough with the agorophobia. My mom has it, too, so I have seen how it shrinks a person's life.

One way of coping with those stupid comments is to come up with good responses. I have one for the, "Don't you think you're taking too much medication" comment. "Well, my neurologist studied for years to learn how to prescribe these meds and then he worked with me for years to reach this cocktail but if you think I should change them, I'm happy to. Which should I cut out and which dosages should go down and to what levels? Oh, and please give me a prescription for that."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
If you knew what was really out there you'd be "agoraphobic" too (and ready to take on The Apocalypse )
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
Yes, I'm glad I don't know what you know. Truly.

I came across this really great list while looking at a cancer site. These are my favourites: "f you live near the person ask them, “Would it be helpful if I texted you before I run errands so that I can pick something up for you?” Texting and email help because talking on the phone is almost always too much of an ordeal and/or inconvenient. I have friends who email me at the beginning of the week to say, “I’ll be at the grocery store, the drugstore, and the post office this week. Can I do anything there for you?” Some will text on the spur of the moment, “Running to Costco. Need anything?” These are invaluable offers.

If you have no knowledge of what information you are being told, admit it. People with serious illnesses do not expect you to know everything about their new diagnosis. They are probably learning a lot of information in a short period of time and may not even know the details of their diagnosis and treatment. They don’t expect you to have the knowledge but you need a way to connect. I recommend when someone tells you about a diagnosis you don’t know much/anything about you say, “I don’t know anything about what that diagnosis means. Would you mind telling me about it, and what it means for you?”

How is it affecting your day-to-day life and what part of that can I help you with?

What is the worst part of this for you and how can I help make that a bit easier for you?"

http://lisabadams.com/2013/04/05/som...rious-illness/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ill
Posts: 434
Thanks: 249
Thanked 90 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by kirsten View Post:
How about the one that goes, "Don't you think you're taking too much medication?"
It wouldn't print out your whole quote but I hear both messages a lot!.
My family (when we last talked) was all about saying that I took to many meds between E, bipolar, anxiety, stroke prevention and all the vitamin regimins to help metabolize things.

Then the friends who meaning well would tell me not to go places alone, to wait for them. I like to go for early morning walks alone. Its relaxing. I do feel scared at times since I have had a complex seizure once but its my time so I will try to keep "pushing thru" on the mornings I feel good.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
I'm not really "agoraphobic" it's just a big misunderstanding...seriously I only leave the house when I have a reason to...

Whether it be simply running errands...
Taking a nice long walk somewhere...
Enjoying dinner and/or a movie...

whatever it may be I only do it because like I said I have a reason to...I've never been a person to just do things for "no reason"...whatever that means
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
Cute kitty Penny!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
Yes, Penny, I think it's really important that when we feel we need to push through, others don't try to limit us. I know that for me choosing to push through is an intimate and complex process that I rely on to feel normal and to feel I'm living life. So much depends on that, so I need to be free to limit myself and free myself. The only one who can limit what I do is my doctor, who understands enough to know not to limit me often at all. I suspect a lot of neurologists really do understand the need to live our lives out the way we choose. There have been times when a neurologist has gotten really angry at me for carrying on ordinary life but those were times when I insisted on working while in hospital after a status event, so it was understandable. Still, if I hadn't worked while I was in hospital I might have destroyed my career on a couple of missed deadlines, so I don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
Well I take back (kind of) what I said about not doing things for no reason...I don't want to confuse what I really mean so let me clarify...

I mean I do the things I need to do...but I also do things that I want to (or feel the urge) to do in a separate reality...okay that sounds better...I think


Originally Posted by kirsten View Post:
Yes, I'm glad I don't know what you know. Truly.
I'm not sure how to take this
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE View Post:
I'm not really "agoraphobic" it's just a big misunderstanding...seriously I only leave the house when I have a reason to...


Okay, well thanks for today's laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
YES! NO PROBLEM! LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE!

It's actually my specialty...I make everyone laugh (I'm a comedian )
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM
MrE MrE is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: lol˙˙˙qǝʍ ǝɥʇ
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 205
Thanked 247 Times in 196 Posts
no but seriously Kirsten...there's some really scary stuff out there!

Don't look behind you...there's a ghost! (who ya gonna call???)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Account Closed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,005
Thanks: 154
Thanked 512 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE View Post:
YES! NO PROBLEM! LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE!

It's actually my specialty...I make everyone laugh (I'm a comedian )
I love that you don't assume that others don't know you agree with yourself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why people can Survive with Half brain and yet Brain damage people have problems? niceguyVZ The Lounge 5 01-27-2014 09:33 AM
things are looking up! thornton8000 The Kitchen 3 07-22-2013 08:51 PM
[News] Vimpat validated as promising therapy for uncontrolled partial-onset seizures PhylisFeinerJohnson The Library 13 03-19-2011 10:53 PM
. New here and adding things to my list of things to deal with! mouse123 The Foyer 21 12-01-2010 04:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2005 © Measuring Up. ALL rights reserved.