Employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just curious as to how some of you have tackled your employment issues over the years. You know as well as I do it's hard to work when you can't get there (i.e. drive). And it's hard to continue working when you have episodes (especially when there's heavy equipment). Between getting kicked out of the army and losing back to back construction jobs (after getting my degree), I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask while I'm waiting here for the VA (for who knows how long) to deny me :roflmao: ( :roll: )

I'll tell on myself and admit I'm a math geek and got a degree in civil engineering construction. I had a couple of jobs in quality control where I checked to make sure the asphalt and concrete were made properly (which required a lot of math/algebra) so that it didn't crack and break and have everyone die (haha :noevil: ) and so we didn't have to do it again and cost thousands if not millions of dollars.

But in all seriousness, any suggestions/resources on how to handle employment with epilepsy while I have nothing else to do would be helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For me, it's been a struggle to keep my current position because I've missed so much time. Being written up constantly is really stressful!

I was finally placed on short-term disability through my employer, and although it has been a headache and a half having to fill out stacks upon stacks of paperwork, I don't have to worry AS much.

While I've been out, this website has been a huge help! Reading up on the ADA really helps as well.

Hello all,

I was just curious as to how some of you have tackled your employment issues over the years. You know as well as I do it's hard to work when you can't get there (i.e. drive). And it's hard to continue working when you have episodes (especially when there's heavy equipment). Between getting kicked out of the army and losing back to back construction jobs (after getting my degree), I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask while I'm waiting here for the VA (for who knows how long) to deny me :roflmao: ( :roll: )

I'll tell on myself and admit I'm a math geek and got a degree in civil engineering construction. I had a couple of jobs in quality control where I checked to make sure the asphalt and concrete were made properly (which required a lot of math/algebra) so that it didn't crack and break and have everyone die (haha :noevil: ) and so we didn't have to do it again and cost thousands if not millions of dollars.

But in all seriousness, any suggestions/resources on how to handle employment with epilepsy while I have nothing else to do would be helpful.

Thanks!
OMG mate dow break my heart starting these discussions :cry: :roflmao:....as soon as my seizures came into full force when I was 18 my works soon sent me home...god I was off for 6wks and had to persuade the doc to let me go back and I had a seizure at work and that was it job totally finished.

I've been labelled chronic with my seizures and unable to work and to how bad your having seizures what kind of job can any of we hold really...as seizures do cause an heavy risk.

These links look helpful :hugs:

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/work-employment-and-epilepsy#.VDXEOmPu3IU

http://askjan.org/media/epilepsy.html

With your degree and experience, perhaps you could find a consulting gig, where you mostly work from home.

I am self employed. The insurance sucks but the flexibility is great. I'm hoping to cut back soon.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I had not worked in over 10 years but because I was enrolled in the VA's Vocational Rehabilitation Program. They were able to get me into a company that works exclusively for disabled vets. I have complete job security, I am given accommodations, and regarding my actual work it is a non-competitive job so I am told to take as much time as I need to do the work. I also love that I am working at the biggest Navy hospital on the west coast and get to mingle with other military. I hope I am not making anyone feel bad.
I can't drive but in a way that's a good thing. Parking is really really hard to find and people I know have to park off base and wait for a base tram to bring them in. My wife drops me off practically in front of the building I work in and picks me up (I also don't have to worry about driving in rush hour traffic, my inner Bostonian used to come out).
I work at a desk, writing up contracts. It is not my ideal job, I graduated with a major in Communication, but I sure can't complain.
If anyone is having a hard time getting or keeping a job for whatever reason there are many many programs out there that deal with us and "our kind" all the time.

Wow! I wish I could say my math/science was even close to your abilities. From what I have read that is where all the jobs are. I retired early, but during my working years there were challenges with epilepsy, but most I could overcome with understanding employers.
I worked various jobs, but mainly was a medical secretary at different hospitals. There were some financial issues off and on, mostly because of losing my driver's license for periods of time, where I would have to pay for a taxi when a bus was not available. Sometimes I lived close enough to a coworker where I could be picked up and I would reimburse, but not near what a taxi cost. My best to you. MaryK

I am self employed. The insurance sucks but the flexibility is great. I'm hoping to cut back soon.

Doing what your doing wants2know is better because your going at your own flexability to suite your seizures and health.

Thanks for the compliments MaryK :)
As for you Terry :razz2: Telling me not to start this discussion :lol:

In all seriousness though I appreciate everyone's discussion (yes even yours Terry :roflmao:). :clap:

Thanks for the compliments MaryK :)
As for you Terry :razz2: Telling me not to start this discussion :lol:

In all seriousness though I appreciate everyone's discussion (yes even yours Terry :roflmao:). :clap:

Well i :dontknow: Joe....dressing me down on the forum, you need your ears :boxin: to put you back in order.

Five minutes out the Army and your already losing control :pfft:

I'm sitting here laughing my head off at your comment, you've made my night :adore::adore::adore:

Well i :dontknow: Joe....dressing me down on the forum, you need your ears :boxin: to put you back in order.

Five minutes out the Army and your already losing control :pfft:

I'm sitting here laughing my head off at your comment, you've made my night :adore::adore::adore:

Well at least you're not calling me Amy anymore ;)
Glad I could make you laugh. I'll be here all week.

Back
Top Bottom