Epilepsy and hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Good to know!

What is the best brand of vitamins - we take Nature Made. Is purtians pride better quality?

You have to give it some time -- several weeks at least.

crazychick, it doesn't work right away, you have to wait at least several weeks.

Is Biotin folic acid? If so, when I have taken folic acid (differ. brands) it cause me to have seizures.

I would say it might take longer than a few weeks. Rebecca's improvement took many many months. She is now in her ninth month seizure free, and she remains med free.
I also think you need to make major nutritional changes, eliminate refined products, fruits, potatoes, juice, soda, ... gaining control over gut yeast and fungal overgrowth needs to be a part of healing the gut. Then the biotin has a chance to work.

Last edited:
Its making my hair fall out more if im being honest. Its so scary to see all my hair in my brush, on my pillow and in the bath. I just want my hair back.

Vitamin supplements

I am currently on 500mg of keppra they have stopped my seizures im taking vitamin supplements to try and stop me losing my hair, i felt ok taking these now i dont feel right at all taking vitamin tablets, i can be fine 1 day and the next I can feel like im always tired. does any1 else have this problem with keppra and the vitamin supplements?

I've had no problems with the biotin, and it shouldn't be interacting with the Keppra. Any chance there are other issues that may be affecting your sleep? I've always found this transitional time of year -- when the weather is 80 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next -- to be hard on my sleep.

It really would be too soon for the biotin to be having that effect. But if you don't feel comfortable taking it, it's definitely okay to stop. The next option would be to discuss trying a different med that won't affect your hair. I know it can be a pain to change meds, but if you're getting more and more stressed by the Keppra, and you're continuing to lose your hair, it may be worth the change.

Im not sleeping very well atm. I am such a worrier i knwo that. I jus dont kniw what to do for the best. My docyir and neuroligist is taking forever its been nearly a week its getting silly.

Im waitin for my neuroligist to get back to me its already been a week and i still havent heard anything back yet. My neurolisgist seems to be tsking forever and im gettin s little bit sick now. I dont know what to do about th biotin. I jus know since i started taking it my hair is coning out more.

Hello Crazychick. I just started taking Keppra... litterally last night, and I'm exhausted, but my neuro told me that it would be a side effect, and could be quite intense. Is this a new med for you?

Hi mnm084 well its fairly new av been takin it since march and its had so many side affects its unreal. 1 Major one is hair loss which is quiye intense. Its took me 3 attempts to get theough the doctor that the hair loss is a side afffect if the keppra. The doc said he was going to write to my neuroligist this was a week ago im still waiting. I would rather have the seizured than the amount if side affects i have with keppra. Im even losin my eyebrows nd eyelashes with the keppra. I cant wait to get another med so i can have my hair. I jus feel so down all the time with keppra to. Do you have these problems to?

I'm so new to E and the Keppra, so I found this forum, because the people in my everyday life just dont understand what I'm going through. I was just officially diagnosed this week and started taking the Keppra last night...so other than the sleepiness, no other side effects just yet. Hopefully it stays that way! I would love to talk more with you about your expierences with it, because Im sure I'll see more issues in the coming weeks/months. Do you have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy? Thats what I have, and from what I've researched it may bring on the "down" feeling, along with fear.

i would love to help you out, because i know exactly what you are going through friends and people who havent experienced it dont know how it feels, im glad i found this site to, its been such a god send for me, my side affects with the keppra took a few month, the first one was the hair loss but the doctor told me this was not a side affect of the keppra n it was stress making my hair fall out, as i done more research into keprra other people were experiencing hair loss with keprra, so i went back to the doctors again got fobbed off got told it was stress but it was coming out in strands weneva i touched it brushed it or washed it. then came the feeling down n it was bad i jus didnt wanna b here, so i went back to the doctors explainin everythin again, i made him listen this time, i also told him i can wake up confused the hair loss and the feeling down bit, he eventually agreed wi me the meds were wrong, but that was a week ago i am still waiting to hear back from my neuroligist. i am not sure what temporal lobe epilepsy is? i know i suffer with fits in my sleep only. no one has sat down and explined anything to me like what epilepsy i have or that i was going to lose my hair or anythin. but feel free to talk to me asnytym on here mnm8405 i will help you the best i can, i know how it feels being told you have epilepsy and you have to work it out yourself.

My daughter also had a time when her hair was falling out, and she was concerned. I am not sure what changes we made, but she no longer complains about it.

Did you say how much biotin you are taking?
I would stop giving it to my daughter if it was causing problems. Since it is a necessary vitamin, if I were you I would try to figure out what is making your body react the way it does.

Back
Top Bottom