Epilepsy Monitoring Unit

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Tuesday I go to the hospital for 5 days of 24/7 video montiored EEG. My doctors believe I am having complex partial seizures, and want to see where in my brain the seizures are starting. Has anyone ever stayed in an epilepsy monitoring unit before? I am VERY NERVOUS! I am 18 and do not like the idea of missing college for a week, or being confined to a bed. I will have a button near my bed to push any time I have an aura or for my mom to push any time I have a seizure. I won't be able to was my hair due to the EEG glue. It really just sounds all around miserable to me.
But I'm also worried I won't have any seizures and it will be a waste.
Just curious about others experiences with things like this.

I did not have "the big one" (T/C) as my nuero put it while as was there. I did have some auras and complex partials though and they found that my seizures were in my right temporal lobe caused by a lesion from my stroke.

I was soooo bored while I was there. All I had was TV to watch. Nurses rarely came in (mostly only when I called to go to the bathroom). My family lived to far to come see me easily. Now that I have my laptop I would take it if I was having it done. It would have helped me survive. I left after 3 days as it made me so anxiety ridden and I couldn't even get a Xanax even though it was prescribed by my psych but could have messed up my tests.

Just curious about others experiences with things like this.

I've been through it twice. My first time was in 2003, and second in 2013.

If you can cut your hair really short it helps a lot. It's easier to have the electrodes glued on, and taken off. You need to wear button or snap front shirts.
Once your wired, nothing is being pulled on or off. Make sure to bring plenty of extras. Bring all your toiletries you need: Soap, toothpaste, tooth brush, wash cloths, deodorant, etc.
The hospital provided ones stink.

You should also bring plenty of things to keep you busy during your stay.

laptop (if allowed) (use caution)
mp3 player w/ earbuds (use caution)
magazines
knitting / crochet (use caution)
playing cards
board games
etc...

Outside snacks and drinks are usually allowed. Sometimes they encourage caffeine to provoke seizure activity.

Don't worry they will get some seizure activity before you leave there. Whether how few or great. Something will come out of the testing session.

Good luck. :)

I did not have "the big one" (T/C) as my nuero put it while as was there. I did have some auras and complex partials though and they found that my seizures were in my right temporal lobe caused by a lesion from my stroke.

I was soooo bored while I was there. All I had was TV to watch. Nurses rarely came in (mostly only when I called to go to the bathroom). My family lived to far to come see me easily. Now that I have my laptop I would take it if I was having it done. It would have helped me survive. I left after 3 days as it made me so anxiety ridden and I couldn't even get a Xanax even though it was prescribed by my psych but could have messed up my tests.

Since the stoke I had was in a very small part of my brain that controls the feelings of sensations and my stroke and seizures consist(ed) of strange sensations and more recently phantom odors and all my strange symptoms started within 24 hours of the stroke, my neuro felt comfortable treating me without me going to an epilepsy center although she would have preferred that I went in. I did have one negative, 1 hour sleep deprived EEG which showed nothing.

I've lost count at the mumber of times I've been in epilepsy monitoring units.
A lot of the times I had someone staying with me.
The glue is not as bad as it use to be and a good washing of your hair will take care the of the rest.I was always taken off my medicine and they got plenty of seizures out of me.

Since the stoke I had was in a very small part of my brain that controls the feelings of sensations and my stroke and seizures consist(ed) of strange sensations and more recently phantom odors and all my strange symptoms started within 24 hours of the stroke, my neuro felt comfortable treating me without me going to an epilepsy center although she would have preferred that I went in. I did have one negative, 1 hour sleep deprived EEG which showed nothing.

That's why I didn't understand the reason for this. I had already had 3 EEG's (sleep deprived) with activity. I'm glad I have a new nuero. He doesn't seem to order a lot of unnessacary test like my first one. He also is looking out for me as far as my stroke and trying to prevent another. My old one acted like it was no big deal.

That's why I didn't understand the reason for this. I had already had 3 EEG's (sleep deprived) with activity. I'm glad I have a new nuero. He doesn't seem to order a lot of unnessacary test like my first one. He also is looking out for me as far as my stroke and trying to prevent another. My old one acted like it was no big deal.

When you had the EEG's did they show activity in the same area of the brain where the stroke occurred?

I don't take off work any more time than absolutely necessary. I was off work for 4 1/2 months for back surgery and recovery and the person that filled in for me was a nightmare. It took 2 years to get the apartment complex back to normal. She wanted my job so she did ANYTHING to fill apartments to impress the boss and even took the receipt book with her when she left.

They said they were in the right temporal lope and that was where my lesion was.

My stroke was on my right side of the brain effecting my left side. I don't know why but my left foot has started dropping again. When I go for walks in the morning I have to be careful because of it. Concentrating. AGH!

Back
Top Bottom