Epilepsy and other neurological disorders

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dfwtexas

New
Reaction score
Is there any proof that people with E are prone to developing other neurological disorders? I know in my case, they believe the IV meds I was on for 2 years did neurolgical damage that resulted in my E. I have been having some other symptoms that may suggest to me that there may be more neurogical damage. I'm going to discuss with my doc, but just wondering if anyone here has experienced this, thanks J

As if seizures aren't enough. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, too.

Yes, there is some evidence. But everything is okay - just because someone has epilepsy doesn't mean they are more likely to develop a neurological disorder. More the other way around. People with certain neurological disorders are more likely to have seizures.

The National Institute of Health (NIH) has a paper on epilepsy and comorbidity (two things that happen together):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16120491

Up to 5% of people with Multiple Sclerosis can suffer from seizures. That's five times higher than the normal rate.

Migraines and epilepsy are definitely related.
Individuals with one disorder are at least twice as likely to have the other

There has also been a link between autism and epilepsy.
Epilepsy occurs in 10–30% of individuals with autism.
This association was mentioned in the first description of
autism by Kanner. However, the association between autism
and specific epileptiform electroencephalography
(EEG) abnormalities is not firmly established; neither is
the prevalence of epileptiform abnormalities in the broader
range of pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs)

Patients with Alzheimers are also more likely to have seizures than the general population.

I've heard that seizures over a lifetime can cause the brain to shrink. Cerebral Atrophy That doesn't mean the atrophy causes all the associated diseases that they list. It just means it's related. Look under "symptoms" to see some of the stuff Cerebral Atrophy can cause.

A search on Epilepsy Comorbidity will yield lots more results.
Also "chemical brain damage", and/ and chemical cerebral damage

Last edited:
Just remember that Epilepsy / Seizure Disorder is just a symptom.

If you have a cause that goes untreated, it would seem to me (yet I am not a doctor) that multiple symptoms could occur. Also, it is the pick of the straws as to which symptoms will show up first.

If... the neuro issues are caused by GI, liver, ill health, or mineral deficiencies, or blood sugar imbalances, inflammation, etc, and the cause is not corrected, then it appears to me from my research, that additional ill health will occur. Many are not seen or felt until too late.

Taking a pill does not correct the problem. It is only is a bandaid, which many times has to be replaced.
This is my opinion.

"Cerebral Atrophy" can also be a side effect of taking AEDs long-term (esp. Dilantin).

Thank you all so much for the replies...I hadn't thought of it in terms that my seizures could be symptom of something else...that's why this place is so wonderful!

df,
I have MS, complex partials, pernicious anemia, severe migraines, 3 herniated discs and a sleep distrubance.
Not sure what causes what.....but I have read that MS patients have a higher risk of seizures and migraines than the general population....but I have also read that a sleep disturbance can cause seizures and migraines.

Who knows.......

WEDNESDAY, April 20 (HealthDay News) -- Many people with autism also have epilepsy that doesn't respond to treatment, a new study suggests.

Researchers looked at the medical records of 127 children and adults aged 3 to 49 with autism who had had one or more seizures. The patients had been referred to the NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center in New York City over a 20-year period because they had also been diagnosed with epilepsy or it was suspected they might have epilepsy, said study lead author Dr. Orrin Devinsky.

About 34 percent of the patients were found to have treatment-resistant epilepsy, meaning their seizures continued despite medications. A few also underwent surgery -- vagus nerve stimulation, in which an electrical device is implanted to stimulate a nerve that runs near the carotid artery of the neck.

Another 28 percent were seizure-free after treatment.

For the other 39 percent of patients, researchers didn't have enough information to determine if their seizures were treatment-resistant or not.

"This highlights that epilepsy is common in autism, and in a large percentage of cases, the epilepsy is treatment-resistant," said Devinksy, a professor of neurology, neurosurgery and psychiatry at NYU Langone School of Medicine and director of the NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center.

"Epilepsy is a bad disorder. Recurrent seizures can injure the brain, can cause structural damage to the brain and can be deadly over time," he added.

The findings are published in the May issue of the journal Epilepsia.

http://news.yahoo.com/many-autism-treatment-resistant-epilepsy-study-130404560.html

I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme, though most mainstream doctors don't believe in it. Also, I have chronically elevated rheumatoid factors, which indicates an abnormal immune response.

So I personally believe that seizures are likely caused by some undiagnosed infection (whether bacterial or viral, I'm not sure) and/or an abnormal immune response. I also have depression, anxiety, and severe OCD. I do not think that this is a separate phenomenon either. I believe all of the things mentioned above are 'linked' by something doctors and researchers have missed.

Lyme and insect born coinfections are definitely something to check on if you have seizures. They are a common cause and seizures will not stop until they are brought under control. Check on this.

Back
Top Bottom