Epilepsy and Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janellie8

New
Reaction score
In my last doctors appointment my doctor said that I needed to take folic acid and a prenatal vitamin (incase I was going to get pregnant any time in the future so there will be a less chance of birth defects). Is anyone else taking this? I don't want to sound rude when I ask this- but has epilepsy caused a birth defect in any of your children? And has anyone had a healthy child without taking these supplements? I want like 8 kids when I am older, and I am just curious about mothers who have epilepsy.

Janellie

8 KIDS!!! YIKES!!! 3 was enough for me and my wife. I don't know how a person could handle 5 more than that, even though I know lots of people do.

Seriously, though, my daughter has been on trileptal since just after her first child was born (which is when her seizures started). She has since had two more children and they are perfectly normal. Actually all of her kids are well above average in social development and intelligence. I don't know that you would need to start taking any prenatal stuff now, though, because I'm pretty sure it would clear out of your system pretty rapidly. My educated guess is that it would make more sense to start taking those things when you actually get pregnant, or at least when you start trying to get pregnant. I don't think it hurts to take a prenatal vitamin or folic acid. I think I remember reading somewhere about folic acid interacting with some aeds. You might want to check that out.

but has epilepsy caused a birth defect in any of your children? And has anyone had a healthy child without taking these supplements? I want like 8 kids when I am older, and I am just curious about mothers who have epilepsy.

I have two full grown, healthy children, one is married and one just finished law school last May and passed his Law Exam on his first try.:clap:
I was taking Dilantin during both pregnancies and, yes I also took prenatal vitamins and folic acid during the pregnancies, but only thru each pregnancy was I taking the vitamins and Folic acid.

It was after my 2nd pregnancy that my seizures increased, so sometimes hormones can play havoc on a woman's body who has epilepsy.

I don't think epilepsy can cause birth defects but I would imagine that the cause can be genetic.

Whether you have epilepsy or not I do know that folic acid is recommended to all women as a pre-natal supplement to lower the chances of birth defects.

According to the CDC:
Folic acid is a B vitamin. If a woman has enough folic acid in her body before and during pregnancy, it can help prevent major birth defects of the baby’s brain and spine. Women need 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/folicacid/index.html

Medline also has a little info that might help.

I took folic acid during pregnancy and was on Tegretol. It was a long time ago and I really don't recall if there was a concern with taking them together, but I do know that folic acid is very important in pregnancy, and Tegretol was a must because I was a seizure machine without it. Despite the meds, supplements, a TC and 6-week preterm birth (which had nothing to do with the meds, supplements or seizure), my son is as healthy as they come (see my picture :))

Thank you everyone! Sounds like all your children are above and beyond!!! ;) That's great. When my doctor told me about the birth defects and epilepsy it was almost as if she was trying to scare me- I immediately got sad and thought I was never going to have children. But it sounds like you guys did good!! :D

Janellie

The reason for taking folic acid/prenatals before you are ever pregnant is because by the time you find out you are pregnant, you are actually 2 weeks pregnant already (at a minimum) and the first number of weeks are the most critical in terms of spinal cord development and things that can be prevented with folic acid. Hope that helps clear it up!!

I'm 31 weeks pregnant right now and am on 750mg of keppra twice daily, one prenatal and 3mg of folic acid. I didn't take anything when I got pregnant, not even the keppra. They always say to take prenatals before you find out you are pregnant and often recommend folic acid ss well, especialy if you are on an AED as the first trimedter is most crucial for deformities. I didn't start the folic acid or keppra until I wad 16 wrrks and because of the delay I have to get more tests and such but the baby seems to be doing well.
I also have a six yeat old and the only medication I took with her were the prenatals and not until after I learned I was pregnant and she's a perfectly healthy six year old. I wasn't on AEDs at the time though so id you are dedinately follow the doctors advice as AEDs do increase the chances of complications

I was advised by my doctors to take extra folic acid as well as pre natal vitamins. I stopped my medications during the first trimester and started up again during the second. I am pretty bad about remembering to take the prenatal/folic acid. But I'm 37 weeks with a healthy baby boy. :)

Back
Top Bottom