Epilepsy vs Sleep Paralysis, with a few odd episodes.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

nanya

New
Reaction score
I've been suffering from Sleep Paralysis (Lasts around one minute) ever since I was in middle school. Usually 4-10 times per month. Occasionally I might have two or three episodes per night. I've done a bit of reading regarding E and Sleep Paralysis's similarities and believe it's probably just Sleep Paralysis.

Recently during an episode of Sleep Paralysis (paralyzed, fully conscious, feeling full body vibrations, hallucinations) I blacked out. I don't mean drifted off to sleep, but my vision slowly faded to black while the vibrations increased, which never happens. It was waaaaay to intense. Sleep Paralysis feels really weird, but this was pretty scary to me.

My Sleep Paralysis almost always comes after this weird feeling (Aura). When this Aura comes over me, odds are it's going to happen 90% of the time and I can't fight off sleep at this point.

I'm probably going to cover all of my bases and see a doctor, but I'm curious if this is familiar to someone that suffers from either or both.

Last edited:
I have sleep paralysis/lucid dream and have focal motor (clonic) seizures which most often happen in sleep before waking up. Didn't say anything, knowing it was probably a dream, until it happened after I woke up.

You said you had an aura- are you referring to the 'sleep paralysis aura' (vibrations, noises, feeling of movement etc) or a seizure aura? If the latter, what was it like? If it was a seizure aura, usually it is pretty obvious.

I've had that blackout feeling during sleep- not sure what that is.

If you have had no epilepsy/seizure before I don't think you have anything to worry about.

best
Kevin

The 'aura' is a weird feeling him my head, physically. No sounds, vibrations, or anything like that. Like a tide coming in, it washes over my head and my thoughts are "Here we go again."

thanks for the reply

Does that "here we go again something bad is happening" feeling persist through the sleep paralysis/sleep awareness?

Are there any other symptoms?

The sleep paralysis and stuff that comes with it are just you becoming aware due to this aura you mentioned. For many people gaining awareness during sleep brings sleep paralysis. I am trying to figure out if the aura could be a seizure though. It could just be related to the sleep paralysis.

I would recommend getting an ambulatory EEG done becauuuuse if this aura occurs 4-10 times a month your chances of it happening during the ambulatory EEG are high, which would likely confirm or reject the idea that these auras could be seizures.

I hope this helps
best
Kevin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom