Exercise and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just looking for some feed back...
I have recently started an exercise routine. Its made me feel energized even with the muscle aches. I was wondering about the after effects of my seizures on more built muscles. Currently after a seizure I feel truely beaten and have trouble with even walking some days. Will having a more fit body help by being able to endure more or will more muscles just equal more pain?

When I worked out I didn't really see a difference in my seizures until after 6 months to a year when they not only lessened in frequency but became much lighter & I recovered faster with less of a post-ictal phase.

Certain muscles play a stabilizing role, so having those built-up should help, depending on what typically happens during your seizures. For instance, if I build up the particular shoulder muscles that protect it from dislocating, that will minimize the damage that occurs when I fling my arms around while seizing. Strong abdominal muscles tend to lessen strain on the back, especially while you are recovering from a seizure, so it can be helpful to develop those as well. As a general rule, being healthy and fit will be a plus rather than a minus when you have a seizure. In addition, developing muscle mass can help prevent the osteoporosis that several AEDs are associated with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just hope that the seizures hold off a little so that I'm not mixing exercise aches with seizure aches :p

It can help to take an ibuprofen before the aches set in from exercise. And if you are really achy you may be exercising a little too hard. You might try mixing up your routine. Lengthening contractions are the ones that tend to cause soreness 24 hours later. Isometric exercises and shortening exercises don't cause any soreness.

previous post follow up

...me again! Just want to also say that I knew everything I was doing, and had heart palpitations, didn't do anything out of the norm. It was more like a panic attack but I am just worried it is different seizure activity. I take 150mg x 2 a day of Lamictal.

Thanks!

Exercise never made my seizures worse.

I've always walked a lot anyway and it kept me in shape.

Belinda

Back
Top Bottom