Fasting blood test

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pheonix

New
Reaction score
At my last doctors appointment a few weeks ago they said they wanted to do a fasting blood test? i have it on Friday and just wandered if anyone else had one? they said something about testing diabetes? (i wasn't overweight before and am not now, and have actually lost about 8-10kg over the past few weeks/months - haven't been trying has just come off :D) Just wandered if anyone could tell me a little bit more? thanks :)

Yes, that's the test for diabetes or other blood sugar issues. Are you experiencing any particular problems that might have led them to suspect a blood sugar problem? Things like blurry vision or dry mouth?

When I was complaining about the above issues, my neurologist suggested that I had diabetes and should get tested. Since those were all Lamictal side effects, and they began after I went on Lamictal, I ignored her. Like you, I am healthy and have no history of diabetes.

Unexplained weight loss can be a sign of diabetes, so perhaps that's why your doctors are concerned. Other signs in addition those mentioned above: excessive hunger, thirst and/or urination, fatigue.

Low blood sugar can sometimes be a seizure trigger, so if that's a worry for you, make sure you are eating properly throughout the day.

Yeah i have been quite thirsty lately i generally wake up and down a couple of pints of water and then have a couple of bottles while at school and then when i get home down another couple, from then till i go too bed i have about a pint an hour, and that's it untill i wake up about 3am and am thirsty again! lol but just keep lots of drinks with me, and then because im drinking i go to the bathroom more :L but i didn't actually tell her any of this? i thought drinking a lot was good for you :/ and i thought being so tired was down too the seizures

It sounds like it might not hurt to have the test done. The weight loss is probably what concerned the doctors -- but you should give them a call to find out for sure.

I have it on friday because they booked it straight away :L i didn't even think the weight loss was that much, but i was just confused because i thought diabetes was in people who are overweight and they said i was a healthy weight

I always have to go fasting for my blood tests, even when the GP is doing them. All my life fasting for blood tests. They test for everything, liver function, diabetes drug levels everything.

Phoenix,

I have Type 1 diabetes. I didn't have it until I was 48 years old and after starting a new medication. The first symptoms for me were extreme fatigue, weight loss and then very blurred vision. The blurred vision is what got me into the dr. It was my optometrist who actually made the diagnosis and sent me in to see my Internal medicine dr. I'm not overweight and usually Type 1 diabetes begins in childhood and Type 2 begins in adulthood. I now take insulin shots with every meal and at bedtime and first thing in the morning, fast acting and slow acting, and have to check my glucose levels with every meal and in between. I see an endocrinologist every 4 months and have an A1c test done every 6 months. Plus an epileptologist. :(

That sounds terrible :( at least you have it under control :) my vision is no different (other than during partials lol) I just out the tiredness down to seizures and didn't really think about the thirst, worked it out earlier and I generally drink about 14 pints a day, dunno if that's above average or not lol

well.... must furrow my brow on a few things here... for any reason, regardless of your weight or being 'healthy,' if you're experiencing odd symptoms, you see your doctor. it may be the meds, but it may not.
i'm surprised a bit too, as we all have epilepsy...? i have bloodwork yearly, as we all should, and from my E diagnosis diabetes has been on the requisition. it's two-fold, and one disease they need to keep an eye on. not only can blood sugar issues cause seizures, but due to the hormonal/weight/body changes that come with epilepsy meds, it is possible for diabetes to develop.
it should be a mandatory test, yearly, not only do i feel so (always a relief to be in the clear), but a number of doctors have said the same.
Phoenix that's the norm for diabetes and anything involving your glucose levels - fasting overnight. have done it many times as have family and friends. the only hard part we find is not being able to wake up to coffee. grrrr.

My 14 year-old daughter has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed over 7 years ago. She was diagnosed a month ago with epilepsy, a delayed diagnosis as we initially attributed her seizures to low blood sugar. The EEG test showed otherwise. Thirst, hunger, fatigue and frequent urination are symptoms of type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition, completely different from type 2 which is a metabolic condition. People with type 1 have a pancreas that does not produce any insulin. People with type 2 have a pancreas that produces insulin, but their bodies don't metabolize it efficiently, most often because they are overweight. People with type 1 are insulin-dependent. People with type 2 can often treat with medication or change their lifestyle (eating better, lose weight). People with type 2 can also be insulin dependent. 98 percent of the people with 'diabetes' have type 2. Type 1 used to be called 'juvenile diabetes' while type 2 used to be called 'adult-onset diabetes'. The descriptions were changed because younger people, even kids, are now diagnosed with type 2. Older people can also be diagnosed with type 1.

Back
Top Bottom