Feeling strange after exercise

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
Yesterday I went on a bike ride. I probably rode about 7 miles, a little bit of hills but mostly on flat terrain. I was drinking water. After about 6 miles, and on my way home, I stopped at a picnic bench because I was tired and slightly dizzy. I began to get chilled and started feeling more "off". I decided I should sit in the grass, in the sun (to warm up) just incase a seizure was going to happen. I kept my bike helmet on. After about 5 mins I was warm, and feeling a bit better. I got to my feet and got back on my bike. Not feeling 100% but definitely better then I did before. I walked my bike up a hill, then rode just fine back to my house. I was exhausted when I finally made it home, and rested on the sofa for a few, then I was fine.

This morning I woke feeling fantastic. Motivated and ready to start my day. Highly unusual since I usually don't do mornings. :p After a few hours I grabbed my helmet, water and mp3 player and set out for another bike ride. After yesterday I figured it best to shorten my route and take it a little easier. Things were ok, but the 1st part of the ride is mostly downhill. It just about killed me on the way back though. Several times I had to get off and walk the bike up the hills. My legs felt like jelly. I didn't have to stop and take a break like yesterday tho. I was relieved when I made it home because I was really exhausted. I came in the house, checked my email then thought it best to rest on the sofa and kick my shoes off. I woke up an hour later. And ever since I've had a slight headache, problems thinking, and very "off". I can almost feel a numbing on both sides of my head, and I am still sooo exhausted. I feel a little drunk and all I've had today is water.

I am new to all of this, and am still on my trial package of Lamictal XR. I just took my last 50mg pill (end of week 4) and begin the 100mg tomorrow. After a week of that, I think my Dr wants me to go up to 200mg, I see him next week.

Could this be the E? The meds?? What do you guys think? It had been a while since I rode my bike, though I haven't had any issues on the treadmill at the gym at all.

Thanks-
CathyAnn

Last edited:
out of shape?

How long since your last bike ride. Is there a route that would be downhill on the way home. Do you have a stationary bike that you can use inside, until you can build your stamina back up?
What do you eat for breakfast? You do need energy for any exercise.

Your 'feeling off' is a concern tho'. The heat has returned to Texas, and it can affect you.
Other than that, make a note to give to your neuro, and go ahead and take another, shorter ride.

I would wonder if it had something to do with your not eating because of how you felt cold. That combined with the exercise & hyperventilation of cycling might be a trigger.

This morning I had a good breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs with ham, &shredded cheese and 1 slice of toast with butter about 2 hours before my bike ride.

It has been about 4 yrs since I was a regular rider, but the last time I rode was a few months ago without any problems.

I really don't think its the bike ride though. At the gym I crank the incline up (10-12) on my treadmill and go at a brisk pace for 45 minutes to 1 hour without any problems at all. I know riding a bike uses some different muscles, but I am not out of shape. In fact I've lost 55 pounds in the last 1 1/2 yrs by diet and regular exercise at my gym. I have 20 moe to lose before I get to my desired size. :banana:

Hmmmm, but I don't know. Like I said, I am new to all this.

(edited to add, yesterdays breakfast was a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit 3 hrs before that ride, but from McDs :p)

Oh and it has been cool in the mornings here and the trail I take has a lot of trees and shade.

Thanks again-Cathyann

Last edited:
cheesy McD

You might try to eliminate cheese.
I always feel weird after eating at McDonalds, so I no longer eat there.
You may want to add fruit to your breakfast.

Make sure you're not drinking just water when you ride -- vitamin water is important for replacing electrolytes (like calcium, potassium & magnesium-- very important for the brain!) that are lost when you exercise. While you're tapering onto the Lamictal, you might experience dizziness and headaches (I did). Your body is trying to adjust to the med, so you may feel out of whack until the adjustment period is over. Go a bit easy on yourself...

Ahhh, BUT

the bikes in a gym, and your OWN bike that you ride are 2 totally different things. You may work many of the same muscles, but your lungs are working differently because you are OUTSIDE. The heat and humidity affects your breathing, and your central nervous system along the way......

Combine that with titrating up on your meds, and it's understandable that you would feel 'off'.......

I'm hypoglycemic, I have to eat every 2-3 hours when I'm not being physically active or I'll get the shakes or feel off. Have you had your blood sugar tested? If there is diabetes in your family, there is a chance you have hypoglycemia.

Also there is a LOT of monosodium Glutamate (MSG) in McD's food. I would rather take my kids to a restaurant where I know they can eat a fresh, organic meal, and just buy them a pocket money toy. McD's NOT good for me, maybe it's the same for you.

Back
Top Bottom