Finding a therapist

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Beanogirl

New
Reaction score
I've been overwhelmed since this all started. I never in a million years thought when I got pregnant w/ my 3rd child that I would be diagnosed w/ Epilepsy. I have a history of anxiety and depression and would really like to avoid meds until the baby is born if I have to go that route. I try to talk to my friends and family about how I feel but I just don't think they understand. I would like to find a therapist but one that knows about Epilepsy. Any idea on how to go about that? Has anyone talked to a therapist and felt like it helped them? I know stress isn't good for the baby and would really like to feel better and enjoy this pregnancy instead of being anxious and scared all the time. Thank you!

I think a therapist is always a good idea. I wish I had someone who is paid to hear me vent about things, instead of leaning on friends and family so much. I'm afraid I'm becoming a downer.

I saw a therapist for three sessions. She knew nothing about epilepsy and I spent the whole time educating her, not getting help with my stuff. She had never even heard about partial temporal lobe seizures and what they look like. She thought those symptoms pointed to several types of mental illness, not epilepsy. And this is the therapist that I was referred to by my neurologists' office. What the #$%@?

So I don't know how you'd find someone who either knows about epilepsy and its effects, or has an open mind and will do some research. But it's important.

That is what I am afraid of. I also have simple partial seizures (right temporal lobe) and since I always thought these were anxiety related I never wanted to bring them up to my doctor. I felt crazy. One time during my appt. I told my doctor my anxiety was getting better but I was still having these strange deja vu experiences out of no where. My anxiety was always in social situations but I would get these episodes out of nowhere when I was home doing mundane household tasks. She didn't even look up from her notes so I dropped it. I was so afraid she would think I was crazy. Maybe I will ask my neuro at my next appt. If she doesn't know of anyone I will make an appt. and print out all the info I can find and take it with me. Maybe that will help. I just think someone with a background/knowledge of Eplilepsy would be able to help me more. I talk to my friends and family (I also feel like I am being a downer) and they just don't get it. They don't understand why I am afraid. I actually had one person tell me it was no big deal. I will just pop a pill everyday and I'll be fine. I hope that will be the case (I'm waiting to start meds until the baby is born) but I tell them there is no magic pill.

A somewhat unconventional method is to find relaxing music or meditation that helps quiet the mind, especially at this time. I have a huge collection of music, but recently found THE CD specifically that put me into a totally relaxed state of mind in spite of many stressors.

Each person has a unique set of brainwaves and listening to specific sounds will balance those waves into perfect or near perfect harmony. This may sound unreal, but it's really working for me.

Beanogirl,

Everyone has different issues related to their seizures. A big one for me was being afraid of weird stuff, like the phone ringing, waking up at night, and being in the passenger seat of a car. I kept asking myself, "why am I afraid of this? I'm crazy!" I've since found out that I had fear seizures especially at work (where the phone rings a lot), at night when I was woken by them, and in the car when sunlight came through the trees. Even if I wasn't having a seizure at the time, I learned to be afraid of those things through negative association. So every time I was afraid of something for no reason I told myself, "it's not the phone, I'm afraid because of the seizures I used to have when I was around the phone" After a few months I wasn't afraid of the stuff any more.

I guess my point is that we all have things to work out. I wish I would have had some help to identify my things and help me through them. I could have gotten on the right path much faster.

I agree with the relaxing music. That could help with at least the stress part of it all.

finding a neuropsychologist is extremely difficult

What my epileptologist tells me is that I need a neuropsychologist, one who specializes in epilepsy and in my case non epileptic seizures because I have been diagnosed with both. My non epileptic seizures are triggered by anxiety and depression but look or act like partial seizures. I was diagnosed in March with PNES but still have not found a neuropsych, they honestly don't know what the heck I was talking about and was told I had major depression and to go back to my epileptologist. Even my epileptologist can not find a neuropsych to treat my PNES so I am not currently being treated :(
It's interesting to hear that others have the same fears I do. I do tend to freak out when the phone rings, especially in the middle of the night. A wave of anxiety rushes through me and I begin to panic. I also have a fear of being in the passenger seat on the freeway, it seems dumb but I guess I'm afraid of some sort of accident. Idk. My husband is very patient with me being a backseat driver.
I didn't find the therapy sessions helpful, I talk to my husband about the same things and don't have to pay him for it. Maybe I just don't have a good therapist. Your neurologist or insurance carrier should be able to help you find a good one. When you call for an appointment make sure to ask if they are a neuropsychologist and one that specializes in epilepticdisorders. Best of luck.

Is there an Epilepsy Society/Association in your area? I wonder if they can suggest a counsellor. I know mine offers a counselling service, but I have only used it once, because of a very specific question I had.

I'm currently seeing a therapist for depression (caused by my E and related diagnoses and issues last year, and other personal stuff), and have spent a LOT of time educating my psych about epilepsy. I find it interferes with getting to the heart of the problem. I'd rather speak with someone who already knows what someone with sps and complex partials goes through.

It really is overwhelming, and therapy should be high on the primary doctor's list at time of diagnosis, well before crisis time.

I too never thought this would happen to me--i was sailing along-healthy kids-great job-2 houses vacations-now everything that isnt gone I have had to fight and beg for .Due to slight pittance from employer disability,always wondered when our next problem was going to take our little bit of money and burned through my retirement-now i have nothing.After my refusal to accept,I went through depression where I dont recall getting off couch for months and I drug myself to therapist.She was a good idea although she knew nothing and it was a pain eucating her on every little nuance of E--.Looking back,it was a benefit,but I definitely outgrew it after about 8 sessions.Im just not an ongoing talk person.Lately i have begun to see a psychiatrist at my epis suggestion just to deal with my hallucinations and I find him much more beneficial than telling someone about my life.So over the course of your life,you may consider a combo of both also

Marlena,

Maybe they were talking about a NeuroPsychiatrist? Totally diffeerent thing from a neuropsychologist, but they do exist in pretty fair numbers.

Yes - those fears are interesting. Think yours might be caused by the negative association with seizures, like mine were? If so it's a relatively easier fix than some other sources. Once the seizures were gone it was pretty easy to quit being afraid.

Hope you find the doc you are looking for.

What my epileptologist tells me is that I need a neuropsychologist, one who specializes in epilepsy and in my case non epileptic seizures because I have been diagnosed with both. My non epileptic seizures are triggered by anxiety and depression but look or act like partial seizures. I was diagnosed in March with PNES but still have not found a neuropsych, they honestly don't know what the heck I was talking about and was told I had major depression and to go back to my epileptologist. Even my epileptologist can not find a neuropsych to treat my PNES so I am not currently being treated :(
It's interesting to hear that others have the same fears I do. I do tend to freak out when the phone rings, especially in the middle of the night. A wave of anxiety rushes through me and I begin to panic. I also have a fear of being in the passenger seat on the freeway, it seems dumb but I guess I'm afraid of some sort of accident. Idk. My husband is very patient with me being a backseat driver.
I didn't find the therapy sessions helpful, I talk to my husband about the same things and don't have to pay him for it. Maybe I just don't have a good therapist. Your neurologist or insurance carrier should be able to help you find a good one. When you call for an appointment make sure to ask if they are a neuropsychologist and one that specializes in epilepticdisorders. Best of luck.

Hi Endless,
Can you tell me the difference between the neuropsychologist and the neuropsychiatrist? I feel a little lost because I think if my own doc can't find a doc to treat me how am I suppose to find one on my own? It's difficult to describe my non epileptic seizures and they seem like real seizures to me, sometimes to the point I can't differentiate them from actual seizures.
I do believe my fears are likely seizure related. I can't handle seeing someone hit their head, on tv or by accident, it gives me that nails on a chalkboard flinch and I have to cover my eyes or walk away. It may be PTSD?? simply because Ive hit my head so many times as a result of the seizures.
Anyway, thank you for the response. I never heard of the neuropsychiatrist. I will have to look into it :)

A neuropsychiatrist is an M.D., a neurologist, who is also a psychiatrist. They usually don't do "talk therapy" but instead focus on the physical neurological cause of a disorder and treat that.

A neuropsychologist is a psychologist who specializes in people with neurological disorders, like head injuries or epilepsy. Most of them are PhDs, and they do functional testing to pinpoint the areas of injury in the brain. They usually don't do "talk therapy" but instead assments of what part of the brain isn't functioning properly.

I'm not a doctor or counselor, so I can't even guess what you might have going on. A talk therapist might be helpful for that. They are usually people with master's degrees in psychology who do counseling. What I do know is that Epilepsy messes with our minds. Either because of the meds, or the epilepsy/seizures themselves.

Just an update. I finally contacted my local Epilepsy Association and they called me back this afternoon. They were very understanding and took down some of my information. They are trying to find a therapist near me that has a background/knowledge of Epilepsy. I feel better already knowing that I started the ball rolling. I am looking forward to taking my life back and enjoying the rest of my pregnancy.

Just an update. I finally contacted my local Epilepsy Association and they called me back this afternoon. They were very understanding and took down some of my information. They are trying to find a therapist near me that has a background/knowledge of Epilepsy. I feel better already knowing that I started the ball rolling. I am looking forward to taking my life back and enjoying the rest of my pregnancy.

I hope they can help you find a neuropsychiatrist, since you already have a history of anxiety and depression on top of epilepsy.

I used to see a neuropsychiatrist, but when I moved, I could only find a psychiatrist. Sometimes, neuropsychiatrists are difficult to find, so good luck.

Also, usually, one sees a neuropsychologist when considering brain surgery or for cognitive therapy after surgery or after a head injury.

I've been to both.

http://www.anxietysecrets.com/nutrition-3.htm

Taking nutrients that preserve brain function under stress, including protein at each meal and lowering sugar and starch intake is highly recommended for those experiencing emotional upset.
http://www.nutritionmd.org/health_care_providers/psychiatric/depression_nutrition.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/coping-with-anxiety/AN01589/METHOD=print
http://www.healthyplace.com/anxiety...ion-therapy-for-anxiety-disorders/menu-id-69/
http://www.drpodell.org/brain_metabolic_systems.shtml#Brain-Gut-and-Liver-Connections

Changing my daughters nutritional choices has also changed her emotional health.
My personal approach would be making sure I wasn't part of the problem.
People tell me... "Oh, it is so hard to eat well". So are dealing with the symptoms you describe.

Back
Top Bottom