First seizure after 8 years free

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AC_APT

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've had epilepsy for 12 years, had been seizure free for 8 until a few weeks ago when I had a nocturnal seizure. Or at least I think I did, I had never had nocturnal seizures before. So I gained courage, since I hate to watch videos of seizures, and looked up nocturnal seizures on Youtube. Only had to watch one; it looked and sounded exactly like what I experienced.

I remember I woke up to the feeling of my aura, and the right side of my face felt like it was pulling or something. I tried to get up to call my my mom but I couldn't and next thing I know I was shaking and groaning and couldn't breathe (sounded EXACTLY that same on the video I watched -a groaning/ someone trying to take a breathe). It kept going and I honestly felt like I was going to die because I couldn't get one breath in, it felt like I was suffocating. Has anyone felt this too?

When it stopped I know I was groaning louder, trying to get someone to hear me as I couldn't move, but no such luck, everyone sleeps like a rock here. It was one of the scariest seizures have ever had.

Later when I woke up I realised I had wet the bed. So embarrassing.

I've been told by many they don't remember their seizures, but I always have. Even the very first one I had, I could hear my father asking for help, but I couldn't see, my vision had turned black.

I'm scared to sleep now, afraid I'm going to suffocate as I tend to fall asleep on my stomach.

My mom kept asking if it hadn't just been a bad dream, I told her I wasn't sure, but I was pretty certain it wasn't. I think she just didn't want to believe this was happening again after I had been so many years seizure free.

Thank you all in advance.

I don't really have advice, but I just wanted to say I'm very sorry. :( I know that others will give excellent care, tips, and advice.

Sorry to hear about the breakthrough seizure. It may just be a fluke due to some unusual stress or change in your life. Have you let your neuro know? He/she may be able to give you some advice to help lessen your anxiety.

The groaning/breathing sounds scary but it's actually a normal event during and post-seizure. At the start of the tonic (muscle tensing) stage, there's often a loud moan, due to air forcefully expelled from the lungs. After the seizure, there can be gasping and heavy snoring sounds, usually caused when mucous or a relaxed tongue slightly blocks the airway. It's not serious, but it can go on a long time just because we're so exhausted post-seizure, and the body/brain need sleep.

BTW, might be worth having a sleep study down to see if there's a particular sleep issue that has come up that may have triggered the seizure. Do you have a history of sleep apnea or snoring? If so, that may be relevant.

Don't feel embarrassed about wetting the bed. It sucks, but it's common, and probably a one-time thing because this was the first (and hopefully the only) seizure after a long seizure-free period.

Last edited:
Don't Worry!

AC APT,

You may have had a breakthrough seizure, but that is something a person w/E has to learn to deal with. The more you worry about having a future 'break through' seizure the more problems you may cause yourself. You need to accept that when a person has E there always is the chance that the E could change or occur again in a way similar to before the seizure-free times.
If a person has E they have to realize that any type of worrying that they allow themselves to do may cause their stress level to rise to a point where that stress level could activate their E.
This is why I have learned to accept my E as a part of my life just like breathing and my heart beating. Worrying about my E would cause me a lot more problems than accepting it does! :twocents:

acshuman

Sorry to hear about that.
I would certainly go in and talk to your doctor.
I have had dreams about having a seizure (only twice) but it was never with the kind of intensity that you describe.
As to the time span, your body changes and stuff happens.
I went for five years seizure then had a series of breakthrough tonic clonic seizures that gave me some impressive bruises.
When I went to the neurologist and asked why the change, she said that a similar question had been asked to a top professor in a class she took in college.
The professor's answer was, "People with epilepsy have seizures."
I really felt like I shouldn't have had to pay for that visit.

Seriously, don't panic.
This is a bitch, but it is just one thing to get through and you will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom