food allergies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of food allergies causing seizures? Thanks.

Hi Emee --

There may be a link between seizures and certain kinds of food intolerances or sensitivities (like gluten) -- especially if those issues prevent the stomach from properly absorbing and metabolizing nutrients. And food additives like MSG and aspartame can play a role in triggering seizures or migraines because they are basically mimic certain neurotransmitters that excite the brain (glutamate and aspartate).

I'm going to have my son (just turned 4) tested for food allergies in the next 6 months, hopefully. But for now, we have/are trying to eliminate soy, corn, gluten, and casien from his diet. Only thing I am having difficulty with is soy...Except rice crackers, I can't seem to find a cracker without all 4! Hoping soy will be the lesser for the evils for now...Anyways, I have been told the same for pretty much the reasons Nakamova gave.

I have a reaction when I intake MSG or Asppartme which causes a nocturnal type seizure. If you are having a test done for gluten sensitivity(celiac disease) keep in mind that you may pass the test but still have a reaction from MSG or Aspartme. Try to eliminate them from the diet for a couple of weeks & see if it makes a difference.- Good luck, Sturg

Back
Top Bottom