Found a New Restriction Today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crazy Monkey

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
Today, the sun was shining so we decided to have a drive to our local seaside resort. We had a wander along the beach and then up to the fairground. There was a new attraction that had just opened which I fancied having a go on.

It was the Segway balance boards (see pic below) I had a feeling there might be some restrictions with this attraction so I went to look for a board to read, sure enough there was, the board read -

You may not ride this attraction if you suffer from the following disabilities -

Epilepsy
Weight Restriction 18 1/2 Stone

And that was it, only these 2 reasons could stop you from riding these things, that didn't seem fair, there are plenty of other disabilities that should have been listed. I thought maybe I should have a go anyway, but there were all sorts of disclaimers to sign, so it wasn't worth it.

I was watching people riding them, they were only going at less then walking speed, they were kitted out with helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist pads and back/chest protectors. I couldn't see that less then 10 minutes round a track at snail speed would be a big deal, especially as someone was walking alongside you the whole time practically holding the board in the correct position.

There were even kids riding them that could only just reach the handlbars above their heads, apparently this is classed as safe??? Sometimes I think that we are unjustly picked on just because we are not allowed to be in control of vehicles on the road.

segway.jpg

Last edited:
many times the news reports accidents were the person controlling the WHEELS, lapse into a seizure. I wish to ride a bike today. Then I think of others who I may injure while controlling the WHEELS, and myself. Like the song says, "these feet are made for walking". March on is the message. I find spy not that bad when compared to other afflictions. Look around.

Hosea - Normally I am the first to stick to the rules and think of other peoples safety which is why I keep off the road, but this was in a controlled environment at the slowest speed I have ever seen a vehicle move at, I really couldn't see any danger. Maybe I am being over sensitive because I was feeling left out and wanted to have a go. I don't know why I wanted a go so bad, because you are not allowed to use them to there full potential, which I guess isn't that much fun anyway. I think it is maybe a case of "You always want what you can't have"

I feel your desire/pain. I to so wish to drive, ride and all other pre-E things in lfe. I desire a
beer while watching March Madness. Doc said no, so to did my two moments not following Doc's orders. Stay on the right path with your feet, left then right.

Well, I've a pair of (wheelchair)wheels here I would trade right away for feed walking... sure they're made for it but they won't walk... ;)
But I do understand your point. What makes me really mad is when we take our kids to a theme parc (my handicapped boy loves speedy attractions) we're kept out of several attractions by these signs saying 'not for people with epilepsy.' Most times it has something to do with flashy lights or speed but my boy is not photosensitive at all and sure doesn't seize from speed. We usually ignore them but the signs do mention these disclaimers. It's just not fair!

Why would anyone pay good money to ride a thingy that takes you around at less than walking speed anyway? good for you. i make my own decisions about whether to risk things which say " not for epileptics". i even went to an IMAX which had a disclaimer like that. i know i'm not photosensitive so what the heck. i've gone go-karting , parasailing , what have you. You can make reasoned decisions about rides if you know why they are banning epileptics from them. it's not like anyone's going to take an EEG before you ride the "blazingly fast" snail . Given the amount of padding they're making you wear anyway , it should be reasonably safe (if your seizures are controlled).
You can't let people decide every aspect of your life for you

Actually, at this site, they've been suggested as options for people to consider who can't drive. :) The place you went probably had that restriction in place for their insurance purposes...just in case someone seizes and runs down a little old lady in a walker.....personally, I think that's a stupid reason, and I would ask the owner of the restriction what their reason is if I were you. If that state it's because of possible loss of conciousness, I'd ask them if they would have the same restriction then for diabetics, as they can also lose conciousness. Also, you might want to explain to them the vast number different types of seizures. Think of it as a chance to educate someone. :)

Back
Top Bottom