Generalized seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

xenome

New
Reaction score
I was browsing the forums and I read that generalized seizures means that seizure is in the whole brain, or something?

I think thats what I was diagnosed with.

But whenever I have a seizure, I get unbearable headaches afterwards that are only in the right side of my brain.

It doesnt matter whether I hit my head or not, right side everytime. The last time I went to the ER my head hurt so bad.

Could this indicate that my seizures occur only in the right part of my brain? Does it matter?

It could actually indicate that your seizures occur on the left side of your brain....I get headaches on the right side of my head after some of my seizures. It is the opposite. The left side of your brain controls the right, the right controls the left.

Really!?

Geez, I wish my doctor would tell me this stuff. Maybe I should find a new one. Would the seizures coming from the left side of my brain affect how my seizures are treated??

I don't know...sorry...but I wouldn't think so...
what kind of seizures do you have?

hmm...I don't know...maybe they start on the left side of your brain and spread? I'm not sure...You might want to ask someone else on that one...I have no idea. But that's what I think it is...:ponder:

My understanding is that the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and vice versa. Not sure that the pain is felt in the opposite side.

Rebecca had a situation in the beginning where her left hand shook and her head turned to the left. I was told that the focus of her seizures is on the right side. Recently however I have been told that where the focus is, is not where she has a "birthmark". It is on the same side, but not in the same region.

Migraine is often related to seizures, though are considered non related incidents.
You might be having some kind of a nerve / vascular issue post ictal.

Magnesium has relieved me of all migraine symptoms, and is also considered a treatment for some with seizure disorders as well. Rebecca's neurologist has suggested it for her treatment, at the present time.

I started to take magnesium once, but I didnt notice a difference and when I saw my neurologist, she said that I should stop.

We live in a very confusing time...

When is the last time you saw a calendar, pen, ad or prescription pad in your doctor's hand that said "Magnesium" on it?

Last edited:
Doctors work for drug companies. Not health clinics.
Experience has taught me that.

^---- Many doctors seem to, but there are some that don't. It's hard finding the ones that don't. :) But they are out there.

Generalized seizures - affect both cerebral hemispheres (sides of the brain) from the beginning of the seizure. They produce loss of consciousness, either briefly or for a longer period of time, and are sub-categorized into several major types: generalized tonic clonic; myoclonic; absence; and atonic.

More here: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/Medical/seizures/types/

Back
Top Bottom